Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

9611g port used on POE switch 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desmisclvlv

Vendor
Oct 4, 2022
US
Is there a way to find out what port a 9611g is using on a large Poe switch? The DS 9508 are linked to specific ports so it's easy to troubleshoot I wasn't sure if there is an identification for the actual Port used for a IP phone

If it's a Cisco switch you can search the mac address table

>sh mac address table | inc xxxx

where xxxx is the last 4 of the phone's mac address

If its like my simple unmanaged PoE switches: unplug the phone - which port on the switch is no longer lit?

And then attend to your Layer 0 maintenance - i.e. label the ports and cables.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

Check the LLDP results for the switch. The phone should be sending info including the MAC address via LLDP.

On a Norvaya switch, you can hit the CLI and type:

show mac-address-table (shows every MAC on every port)

show mac-address-table vid X (where X is the VLAN ID)

show mac-address-table address 00-11-22-33-44-55 (substitute the real mac address)

If you're using the web interface (good luck these days finding a browser that actually works on a true Nortel branded switch, unless the software has been updated), I believe you can look in the topology table. It's a heck of a lot faster doing it via CLI

Most switches have a section where you can see which devices are connected to each port, often labeled as something like "Port Status" or "Connected Devices." From there, you should be able to identify which port corresponds to your IP phone.

I use my Fluke LinkIQ. Will tell you what switch/port.

ACSS / ACIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back