Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

9611G Keeps Rebooting Periodically

Status
Not open for further replies.

glenng3

MIS
Mar 18, 2011
US
We have a CM 3.1.5 system and are beginning to add some 9611G phones. Users report that the phones reboot themselves occasionally, sometimes in the middle of a call. How can we fix this? We have older 4620 and 4610 phones that work fine with our system using H.323. We have the 9611s configured as 4620s on the CM. Also, I'd like to check the firmware version on the 9611G. Can anyone tell where to find it? Thanks.

To check the firmware do the following on the phone:
Press the HOME button
Scroll down to ABOUT Avaya IP Deskphone (make sure it is highlighted)
Press OK

A screen will appear showing the release. Mine says Release 6.401U which I know relates to firmware version 6.04.01U on our firmware server.

You can also do a stat station xxxxx and one of the pages will show the firmware version as well. (Not sure if CM 3.1.5 supports that or not but you can try.)

As for the rebooting, we saw this with an old data switch that was not supplying enough power for the PoE (power over ethernet) and again when users were using the USB port to charge their portable devices from the phone.

You can also trying going into the craft menu and doing a clear procedure. I've done this to bandaid issues like this. You can also do a list reg on CM and that will tell you what FW the phone is using.

You can also get into the pbx and do a List registered, it will show you the firmware versions of all the phones.

Today I set up one of the new 9611G phones in my office. It stayed up for about four hours and then it displayed "Reconnecting" on the screen and was unresponsive for roughly 30 seconds to a minute. So I guess the phones are not actually rebooting, but are just reconnecting. Still, I have no idea what's causing it. I checked the available power on one of the network switches, and there is plenty. It is an HP ProCurve 2610 and the default POE spec is 802.3af. "List reg" shows I've got firmware release 6.3037.

What are you registering to.. clan or PE? Do a status sockets to see how many available connections you have. If there are enough, maybe downgrade the FW. How new is the one you have? Also, your version of software doesn't have 9611 as a choice. Make sure from documentation what you should be configuring these as and ensure your CM version supports these in general. I'd also try and isolate the phone on its own w/o the data port being used by a pc while you're troubleshooting this. and not sure if there's any difference, but make sure from the network folks and doc that the switch is supplying enough power to these.

The latest H.323 software for the 9611G (which typically means the highest quality) is 6.4.0.14. Avaya only claims support for this release with CM 5.2.1 and above.

If you have a "global" version of the 9611G (i.e. no English letters on the faceplate), it will only run 6.3.1 and above. That version also is only supported on CM 5.2.1 and above.

The original H.323 6.0 readme file ( says to program the 9611G as a 9630 (not 4620).

Correction to last post. The last statement was modified in a later bulletin to say to program the 9611G as a 4620 on CM releases prior to 4.0.

We purchased 9611G phones because the documentation says they are supported on CM 3.1.4 and above. They are not the global version. We are registering to the CLAN. "Status socket-usage" shows 144/400. Documentation says to configure as 4620, so that's how we did them. The network switch has plenty of POE available. The 9611G on my desk does not have a computer attached to it. The message onscreen yesterday when the phone was unresponsive was actually "Connecting". (I wrote it down wrong in the original post.) Thanks for your responses. If you think of anything else, please let me know.

It doesn't hurt just to try a past fw version.. not saying the doc says otherwise, but you should just rule it out. Not sure if there's a difference in phone type behavior (I've not seen this), but in your network region you can also make sure your H.323 IP Endpoints section settings aren't off.

In the 46xx.settings file make sure of the settings for the ports on the back of the phone. They are usually default at auto.. I'm sure you made sure you don't have a duplex setting mismatch on your switch.

I searched the system IP log on the CM server and found the following entries at one of the times my phone was "connecting". This seems to confirm that the phone lost contact with CM and re-registered itself, but the question still is "Why?" We have two versions of firmware for the 9611Gs. I'm waiting for more trouble reports to estabish whether the trouble is limited to one version or the other. Ports on phone and switch are set to "auto". The HP ProCurve switch allows us to set priority for POE on each port, but there doesn't seem to be any recommendation for setting the priority on ports where phones are attached. Currently POE priority on all ports is set to "low".

20140723:094621725:11557388:capro(9161):MED:[ IPEVT IPT_TCP_DOWN board=01C10 ip= 192.168.100.80 net_reg= 1 ext= 5007 ip= 192.168.102.16: 3444 net_reg= 1 reason=00000]
20140723:094621725:11557389:capro(9161):MED:[ IPEVT IPT_REG board=01C10 ip= 192.168.100.80 net_reg= 1 ext= 5007 ip= 192.168.102.16:49301 net_reg= 1 reason=recovery]
20140723:094651382:11557401:capro(9161):MED:[ IPEVT IPT_TCP_UP board=01C10 ip= 192.168.100.80 net_reg= 1 ext= 5007 ip= 192.168.102.16: 491 net_reg= 1 reason=endpoint_request]

If you're registering to clans, do a list conf circuit-pack tn799 and see what firmware they're running - that could be your problem.

I did check, and the TN799DP should work with the 9611G. Not sure how to determine whether the HW or FW numbers have a bearing on it.

list configuration circuit-pack TN799

01C10 CONTROL-LAN TN799DP HW01 FW017

@glenng3 - I will state the obvious. You are running a release of CM which was first released in 2008 and the last service pack was in April 2010, which was before the 9611G was even introduced. Avaya has not tested the latest software for the 9611G on anything earlier than 5.2.1. My suggestion is to upgrade your CM and associated hardware to the latest available releases of software/firmware and hope that your issue is solved.

gwebster - The documentation for the 9611G says it will work on CM 3.1.4 and later. If we are saying that Avaya equipment does not do what Avaya claims, then I think it would be folly to buy any more of it.

glenng3 - What you have purchased is hardware (9611G) and software (H.323 6.x). The last version of software which specifically states support for CM 3.1.4 is H.323 6.0.5 which you can no longer download from the avaya support portal.

upgrading is the smart thing from a support perspective. are they even supporting that version anymore? I know there are prob tons of older CM's out there that work just fine. I'd only be comfortable at 5.2 and up. Seems like 5.2 is one of the best versions they ever released. They can't seem to get it EOL. At the same time to go through the gammot of upgrading just to use a 9611 is probably not enough reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back