Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

9600 Series Phone / VPN Connection (Pfsense FW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ownager

Vendor
Mar 31, 2015
Hello Guys,

I am trying to connet a 9600 Series phone from my house back to the main office. Essentially I need to create a connection from my house back to the main office via a secure connection (VPN). Should I use the VPN on the 9600 series phone itself?
Should I be looking at OpenVPN or the VPN on the Pfsense itself?

Any tips would be appreciated.

IPSec VPN, let the phone do the VPN client part. This is good for "the masses" typically.

OR

Setup a tunnel on a router between the two sites, put that router behind your personal stuff. Now you've got a private work network at home (be responsible right?) and you no longer need any "dialup"/on demand VPNs.

Randy,

Thanks for reply.

I am going for Option #1 ("the masses"), as I just have 3-4 remote phones at different locations.
We have an OpenVPN server at the main site. I want to have the remote phones connect to the OpenVPN. Do you have any basic settings that I could use? For instance, below I have one for a Sonicwall that happened to work. What settings would need to be changed for the OpenVPN connetion?

VPN = Enabled
VPN Vendor = Cisco
Gateway Address = X.X.X.X
Encapsulation = 4500-4500
Copy TOS = No
Auth Type = PSK with Auth
VPN User Type = Any
VPN User = VPNxxxxx
Password Type = Save in Flash
User Password = xxxxxVPN
IKE ID (Group Name) = WAN GroupVPN
Pre Shared Key (PSK) = #####
IKE ID Type = IPV4ADDR
IKE XChg Mode = Aggressive
IKE DH Group = 2
IKE Encryption Alg = 3DES
IKE Auth Alg = SHA-1
IKE Config Mode = Disabled
IP SEC PFS DH Group = 2
IP SEC Encryption Alg = 3DES
IP SEC Auth Alg = SHA-1
Protected Network = Nothing
IKE Over TCP = Auto

The phones won't do OpenVPN. You have to use IPSec for the phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back