Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

9508 Handsets saying "Please Wait" 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

seasideskippy

Programmer
May 6, 2005
GB
Hi Guys can anyone help with this issue.

I have a IP500 V2 on software version 8.1(56) with 30x 9508 handsets, every morning some of the handsets are resetting and displaying "Please wait" on the display. The only way to remedy this is to unplug them and then plug them back in.

The system was on 8.1(52) and i upgraded to try to resolve this issue.

regards Gary.

Are the effected handsets on a combo card? Seen combo cards cause this issue while anything on DS8's/Exp mod work fine on the same system :)

Hi, the phones are on an expansion module DCPx16 V2 but it has also been ones on the combo cards too so it cant be pointed to just 1 device.

cheers Gary

Not sure then, the 95 series are still far from perfect though. Not yet as reliable as the 5400's or even 1400 series ....and that's saying something :)

I must say that the only real problems we have or had with these phones is that they got stuck but is resolved with R44 (at least forus)
We had a couple who did not want to upgrade and rebooted every time to try that.
But that is about it.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

It is a known issue. We have the same issue and have had a few hotfixes issued by Avaya and the only thing it fixes is it makes it so you don't have to unplug the phone for it to reset. If you are watching the phone you will still see the reset. They are telling us that they think there is a bad lot of phones out there. Still waiting on an official resolution though.

Cheers CNIAMJ you seem to be the only person who has heard of this issue.

I have been speaking to some tech guys today and they were suggesting the cabling might be dodgy. Its on cat5 and i've changed the outlets too, so it cant be that i was going to change the handsets around but i remember a similar issue on different handsets 1403s i think.

I will keep you updated of this progress.

Regards Gary

We have a customer with the same issue. Please post any update and I will do the same

Same here, we've had several customers with the same problem. I think Avaya will be giving us a patch next week.

I had the same problem. Had the customer help me track the ones that happened more than once. If it happened to a set more than once, I replaced the set. Brought the suspected bad set back to my system at the office, where they failed again. Currently I have proven 4 bad sets from a batch of 42 on that system. Started Rel 8.1 (43), then to upgraded to (52)

Did Critical Patch 8.0.44.3003 or Critical Patch 8.1.43.3001 work for anyone on the 9500 series phone lock ups? (As outlined in Avaya Product Support Notice PSN003702r1)

"Never fear billing a client for services rendered, or they will think your time is worthless"

Problem description
9508 digital phones with IP Office may on occasion exhibit two issues both of which have been addressed with patch fixes. The se
issues are:
Phone Lock UP – Phones are unresponsive to key press entry, no display activity, and inability to make or receive calls.
“PLEASE WAIT” showing on display continuously – following a reboot of IP Office or plugging the phone into an IP Office digital
port, the display illuminates and the “PLEASE WAIT” message is displayed, but the phone boot process does not proceed beyond that
point.
Resolution
Both issues are resolved through a patch upgrade of the 9508 phone in conjunction with a critical patch (CP) upgrade of IP Office. The
phone must be upgrade to the R44 release. The IP Office controller MUST be upgraded to critical patch 7.0.36(3001), 8.0.44(3003) or
8.1.43(3001) depending on the already existing core release installed. All patches can be found on the Avaya ftp site at the following
links:
For IP Office running the following core release, please use the following link for the upgrade:
IPO 7.0.xx
ftp://ftp.avaya.com/incoming/Up1cku9/AvayaT4APP/95xx_DCP/9508_Fix/IPO%20_7.0.36_3001/R44/9.0(363001).zipx
IPO 8.0.xx
ftp://ftp.avaya.com/incoming/Up1cku9/AvayaT4APP/95xx_DCP/9508_Fix/IPO_8.0.44_3003/R44/10.0(443003).zipx
IPO 8.1.xx
ftp://ftp.avaya.com/incoming/Up1cku9/AvayaT4APP/95xx_DCP/9508_Fix/IPO_8.1.43_3001/R44/10.1(433001).zip
The content of these files should be installed in the appropriate IP Office directory under Manager or the SD card. Once the core patch
is upgraded it will automatically download the R44 binary to the phone.

"Never fear billing a client for services rendered, or they will think your time is worthless"

I have the same issue on 8.0.46. Have downloaded the appropriate patch but I am unsure of how to install the patch. Can anyone help me with the procedure?
Thanks,
Doug

Hi guys,
I have just patched one of our systems with the PB from Avaya and it seemed to work. I have not heard any bad reports from our customer yet.

I had to upgrade core system to 8.1.63 first and then using embedded file management upload the new bin file R45.

It took about 20 minutes to upgrades the handsets.

I hope this helps anyone with the same issue.

Gary.

So the R45 also works on 8.1.63?
this means that Avaya already programmed this firmware in the software but did not provide the file.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Yes, that's pretty much where I'm stuck as well. Anyone got this file up on an FTP/share site?

yep - unplug the line cord to the back of the phone and ta da!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back