Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

911 - Who made the Call? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

msteeler

Technical User
Jan 29, 2003
US
Is there a easy way to find who made a 911 call? This site sends out the billing number so when 911 calls back they go to our front desk. We are running 8.6. Thanks

CDR analysis and reporting search by gateway from which the call was placed. If you have a time frame you should be able to drill down through the results pretty quickly. Look at the called number field.

HTH,

Han

The great use of life is to spend it for something that outlasts it. ~William James

The short answer to your question is no. The expensive answer is add a 3rd party CDR application. The immediate answer was handled by Han.

JB

Thanks for the replies. I tried the first way mentioned and tried another way that was mentioned in a seach I did here... neither brought up the call. I'll keep looking, I might have just missed it. Thanks

SSH to the CallManager, then issue sql statements specifying your time range, callingpartynumber and calledpartynumber="911"

you should get list of numbers who dialled to 911.

Thanks

If you can't find the number through CDR it sounds simliar to an issue that I ran into in the past. There was a number in the PSTN that was pushing out our BTN for external calls and to 911. We weren't able to track the 911 call down through the system. We verified through the telco that the 911 call wasn't placed from our PRI. I was never able to locate the origins of the call.

I hope N1T15H methods provides better results.

Good luck,

Han

The great use of life is to spend it for something that outlasts it. ~William James

Download and install the Cisco Real Time Monitoring Tool, (CUCM-Application-Plugins) under the 'Call Manager' tab, select 'Session Trace'. You can use wild card characters in the 'calling number' field and *911 in the called number field and get the info you need.

As long as the CDRs are still residing on the CallManager database, you will be able to trace back the calls. This will be available until the time that the calls data have been auto-purged by CallManager.

I was checking your solution. I didnt find Session Trace under CallManager in Cisco RTMT.

Can you please send over a screenshot to see where exactly this is. Also, your CallManager version /... am on 7.1.5.30000-1 ... maybe this option is not available on my version.

Many thanks
Nitish

I'm running 8.7(004)
Under the tabs at the top of page, CallManager>Call Process>Session Trace.
Or, you can expand the tree at the left of the screen by clicking 'CallManager'.
I'm sorry, I don't have knowledge regarding older versions.
We're also using a third-party application (Xtend by Amcom) that sends an alert email when a 911 call is placed. This application processes the CDR's for call center activity reporting; the emergency alert is simply a feature of that app.

If you want to do it correctly, get with your local 911 administrator. Caller ID has nothing to do with 911. When a phone calls 911 and the PSAP (911 Center) answers, there is a tone sent to one of the 911 servers in the US, which replies to the PSAP and populates the calltakers position with name, number, and location. The 911 server contains the 911 datatbase which is constantly being updated.
Because the 911 database has the LDN listed for an address using a PBX and PRI, it will allways give the listed number from any phone called from that PBX, even if it's an OPX or remote voip user.

The proper procedure is to get with your local phone company 911 group and request a login to the 911 database. At that point you will fill out a spread sheet of every DID number and it's office number, address, etc. After the initial database is input, you will constantly update the database with changes, i.e. a phone moves to a different floor, building, or location.

Next, you will program your system using the ERL features. That will enable a phone calling 911 to be routed to trunks you have programmed as ERL trunks, which will be used for 911 calls.

That way when Joe Blow is having a heart attack in his basement office at the annex a block away and calls 911,
the 911 center will send the ambulance to the basement at the annex a block away, instead of the front desk at the main location.

Inless it's a 911 Hangup call, the training given to E911 PSAP call center personell today requires that they fully and completely interrogate the caller for their exact physical location as well as the telephone number they are calling from, including the nearest cross street. Even then they ask the caller, "is this a house, apartment or a business". The large proliferation of portable devices and individual number portability and VOIP CLECS (where there's no longer a physical hardline connection) has made this necessary. If you have the chance sometime, listen to the initial start-up conversation exchange of a 911 call. It's a lot different than it used to be, especially in major cities, to wit:

"Houston 911 do you need Medical Police or Fire?"
....Medical
"Please stay on the line, you are being transferred to Houston Medical"
brief pause...
"Houston Medical, what is the location of your emergency?"
....caller states the address
Call-taker confirms the address and asks
"What is the name of the nearest cross-street?
....Elm street
Call-taker asks, "Is this a House, Apartment or Business?"
.....business
"What is the name of the business?"
....XYZ company
"What is your name?
....John Doe
"What is your callback number?"
....123-45-6789
"What is the nature of your emergency"

and the call then proceeds from that point, including addt'l interrogation about their physical location within the business, i.e., floor and suite number.

Original MUG/NAMU Charter Member

We too are using Extend Enterprise Alert from Amcom
(Beats the pants off anything from any other vendor)

Original MUG/NAMU Charter Member

We had a similar problem which lasted from August 2010 to October 2011 which resulted in 30 calls from the response centre; and 20 visits from the police! Countless hours of trying to locate these 911 calls being dialed from our phone system, nothing resulted in CDR, RTMT etc. only test 911 and 9911 calls I made showed in our records. Cisco was involved and simply nothing was found.

Resolved: I ended up that our Teleco provider shared equipment in their central office with another Teleco provider. The 2nd provider had our main number masked on a 'faulty' phone of one of their customers; the phone was somehow pulsing out 911 thus our PRI main number showed as the number the 911 call came from. A needle in a hay stack for sure!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back