Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

911 problem 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CableMonkey

Technical User
Sep 26, 2002
US
We have a Magix system (R2.1). Someone is calling 911 several times a day and hanging up. Needless to say, the 911 office is becoming annoyed by this. Actually, I do know that the call is coming from a fax or modem because the 911 office has indicated that they hear a “fax tone”.

The problem is that we have about 100 modem/fax devices that are spread out in 10 different buildings and there are 5 different companies using the lines. Because of this, we haven’t been able to find the culprit.

Is there anything we can do to determine who is doing this? We don’t have a call accounting system. We will get one if we need to, but I was just looking for an alternative first.

You could connect the SERIAL PORT of a PC or Laptop to the SMDR Port and using Hyperterm or Procomm or something, capture the SMDR Output to a file.

Then you could look at that file and search for 911 and then you would know.

The settings for the Serial port would be 1200 Baud, 1 Stop bit, 8 Data bits and parity of none.

(1200, none 8 and 1)

Thanks that's a good idea. I was also thinking of changing the FRL on all the stations so that modems and faxes can not call 911. Is there a way to increase the FRL level for the 911 calls?

WEll, you can't do that, but you could move them into a different PARTITION and assign some TRUNKS with nothing connected to them.

I'm rather certain that would stop them.

There is a setting for "allow 11", which will allow anyone that dials "911" WITHOUT the 9 for ARS to reach 911. That is, if a visitor that doesn't know that you have to dial 9 for outside calls picks up a phone and just dials "911", the system will automatically insert the ARS "9" for them.

This is a problem for users that dial 9, 1 for long distance, an area code and the telephone number. If they accidently "fat finger" the first "1", the system connects them to 911 instead.

Perhaps the modem string is dialing "9,11XXX-XXX-XXXX" accidently.

If you turn the "Allow 11" feature OFF, then those calls will fail. Then you will find out which modem is failing to connect as well.

Or change the FRL on the N11 table

Pepperz at newper dot net

I tried increasing the FRL in the N11 table but the system still let the call go through. Either I didn't do it right or the system lets all 911 calls go through no matter what.

I did find that the "allow 11" was enabled. I shut it off. I think that will fix our problems. Thanks

The FRL of the table must be higher than the FRL of the extension to block it.

Pepperz at newper dot net

I have to agree with TTTommy, we had the allow 11 setting active and were visited at least twice a week by the Police. Our problem turned out to be the fax machine. We ended up turning off the feature.

franke

Hey - I looked around a bit. I am having this same issue, I do believe.

What menu is this option in? I can't seem to find it.

Thanks!

Never mind - I should RTFM first, right?

lol - but for Reference, here's the info from the manual.

To enable or disable Allow-11:
Tables?ARS?More?E911?Allow 11?Select Enable or
Disable?Enter?Back

What about changing the access code from 9 to 8 on all pools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back