Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

911 CALL QUESTION, ARS/AAR ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mach1tec

Programmer
Nov 4, 2006
US
Should our 911 calls use ars, from what I'm told it was set-up in the beginning ars to utilize Crisis Alerting. It seems that when someone calls 911, there is a little delay (total silence) before call goes thru. It's appears that someone actually hung up the phone in this situation. I would like to have the delay as minimum as possible...Any suggestions !
Thanks for your interest

The Crisis Alerting might be the root of your delay. It could be the switch sending that info to the Crisis Alert stations at the same time trying to send your call out ARS.

How long of a delay are you talking about?

If you want to find out if it's the crisis alert causing a delay, set your home phone number in the ARS and mark it for the crisis alert, then call it. You can see the delay. (make sure to warn whomever is watching the crisis alert though before testing)

Also, make sure the max/min digits are set to 3 for 911 some people will set 11 as 2 digits (presuming 9 is the outdial) so both 911 and 9,911 work.

I would say less then 2 second's...It's long enough to think you may have miss dialed, I can understand how the person actually hung up thinking he misdialed, or that the call was not going thru...It's not ongoing problem, but I would like to change it.
Thanks for your responses !

I like the idea of setting up my home number as "ALERT" type. How do I tell where the "ALERT" shows up. I know what number 911 string is replaced by, and all the set's that it appear's on, is this all I need to know concerning where it ring's? Also, it is 3 min and max.
Thanks bwilch

Don't be afraid to call you local Police station and inform them you want to test your 911 system.

Do a list trace on that station and call. Try both 9,911 and 911. They get that request normally so it isn't a big deal.

Alert is a button you can assign to a phone, yours, the attendant, etc. Calling 911 as a test, you can indeed tell them you are doing a test on your phone system, but I would suggest doing the test with a non 911 number first. If you can find the problem before hand...

If alert is assigned to a attendant it will put the phone in a "busy" state until they make themselves available again BTW. It also makes a shrilling sound from the phone as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back