Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

911 Call - can it alert an external number?

Status
Not open for further replies.

demanding

IS-IT--Management
Jan 7, 2008
US
I know crisis alert can be set up to alert a pager but will this be sufficient to alert a telephone instead (building security for example)? Is anyone doing this now? I have CM6.2 and we currently use crisis alert to notify people internally when 911 is called.

list usage button-type crss-alert

Crisis Alert
The Crisis Alert capability notifies the attendant, up to 10 other designated
users, or a digital pager when someone dials an emergency number.
Designated users might include:
- Security guards

When a user dials an emergency number, the system sends both an audible alert
and a visual alert to the attendant console and the telephone of the designated
user.

Remote coverage path to what? "Add station to crisis alert form" - ?

I know how it works internally. We are using it. But one of our offices wants to be able to alert an external phone number - security for the building that is not part of our phone system. So, we would also would not want to alert this number if other locations scattered around the country dial 911. Currently this is controlled by tenant location so would that still be controlled?

Thanks - yes, I have set up remote coverages before. And that makes sense except for the statement "add station to crisis alert form" - what do you mean here? And I guess over all, trying to picture what is going to occur when someone dials 911...And, if another office in a different region/tenant calls 911, will that still stay contained to the one office and not alert this external number?

Thanks Joe2938! Yes, for the most part...but I am getting hung up on how the external number will be alerted. And, now wondering what that external number will see. I can just set it up here and give it a test.

Joe - are you saying that someone would have to call the virtual station number to alert them? We are looking for a way to alert them at the same time someone dials 911 and not just the internal folks who have crisis alert on their phones.

Having a brain cramp today so sorry about false instructions earlier, my way earlier you would have had to modify 911 to point to this virtual number which is not want they would have wanted so not sure how to do this maybe someone else on here has done this in a round about way

this off site location for security, are they on the same phone system?

Then the pager is the only way to do this that I know of, maybe someone else on here knows how to do this

In thinking about that some more, I don't think that is an option either because it will more than likely alert that number every time 911 is called - and that means that external number will get 911 calls from any office in the country. Thanks again for weighing in!

You can do crisis alert by tenant (or by location with a special application in CM)

I don't think you can alert off net with a voice call though.

Put it this way - you can't even use crisis alert with SIP stations that use off-pbx station mapping. I suppose you could have an X ported station with EC500 on to the security desk, and calls would get there - but a crisis alert notification isn't a phone call - it's an alert and I don't think that will be sent off-net.

But even with a pager, I figure property management would scoff at the idea and would not want to have the liability of having a pager to know when one of their tenants dialed 911.

Maybe its just easier to have a company policy where in the case of emergency, call 911, and get someone to go to the front desk/door and advise security/police/ambulance.

Yes - we are using Crisis Alert by tenant now and that works fine. Thanks for the input. This request was posed to me by an office administrator who now calls security when they dial 911 to alert them but they are thinking outside the box in the event of a shooter since this does happen in the workplace all too often.

Cynically, here's a picture of an uzi with a blackberry in it

I'm truly sorry if that's happened to you guys or is something you have to worry about. If it is the case, and you can get the building's OK, e911 solutions exist that can alert a front door security guard when someone on your PBX dials 911.

I've never dealt with this stuff and only seen planning for "bomb threat" scenarios and not "active shooter" ones. Typically a 911 call was enough.

Thanks - but no, we have not had this happen. The OA attended an Active Shooter seminar and this request came from that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back