Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

911 Call blocking for a modem bank 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

M4rkG

Programmer
Feb 27, 2007
CA
I need some quick help on how to disable calls to 911 from a modem bank. From my research, I understand that I can use pre-translation to direct the call to an undefined route for a fast busy signal which is exactly what we would like. I just don't fully understand the sequence or how to program ld 15/18/90 (I do understand that the XLST programmed on the 500 TN will need to match the LSNO of the SCL).

We understand about the legal issues involved with blocking 911 calls - however, in this situation there can be no possibilty of someone attaching an analog phone to these TN's and making a 911 call - the amphenol connectors are directly attached to the modem banks.

Forgot to mention that we have moved away from ESA to TGAR/TARG programming for 911 misdial prevention. We are setup to only allow 9-911 calls from any set in the building currently.

Gene, thanks for the quick reply (and the numerous answers to my questions that I never had to post because of your FAQ's and posts to previous questions).

We have looked at and implemented 911 misdial prevention for the whole site and we are not allowed to make any further changes for site-wide 911 misdial prevention - we have been given the nod by our legal group to perform the changes on this bank of TN's only.

So, having said that, I figured that pre-translation is the best option in our situation. We can re-direct the 911 mis-dialed calls to 4 digit extension to capture CDR data - I am just not 100% sure about the programming sequence and how the ld's relate to each other with respect to pre-translation.

(sorry for the mouthfull, I am trying to be as brief as possible).

Thank you,
Mark

You need a new legal dept, there leaving the company wide open for a lawsuit. 911guru should pop in here with some good advice.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

Let me look into my crystal ball.....

People are causing misdials due to entering phone numbers incorrectly. 911 is being called and they are threatening fines in your building.

Solution:

Implement the ESA Misdial prevention for your system (see my FAQs). Now you are blocking those misdials since the modem is dialing 911XXXX and that gets caught right away and blocked. OSN will track it each time it happens and you can correct the bad number or offending user without dialing 911.

From a compliance perspective you have effectively blocked errant calls, but if someone DID dial 911 legitimately it would go through.

911Guru
E911 FAQs are located at:

I'm sticking with 911guru on this. Reason being, I would not want to have created a configuration designed to block 911. It sounds like a recipe for legal trouble even if someone from a 911 capable phone just plain gets lousy service from the 911 center. If in the post-call investigation, someone asks you if it is possible your system could have any way to prevent a 911 call from going through - you will have to answer yes and that you intentionally created it.

They will turn that all around and the newspapers will say you or your employer personally wanted to stop someone from calling 911 and look how little children are suffering.

I agree what you are trying has about about a zero chance of going bad, but will you wonder if something you did was somehow inadvertently added to the wrong phones some day?

GHTROUT.com | FAQs | Recent Replies

I will add this: The few times I have implemented Pre-Trans to block 911 calls was in a very special case.

A mental institution had wall phones in wards, and once ESA was provisioned, these phones were not able to be blocked. Pre-Trans was used to block 911 but it was full FULL AGREEMENT with the PSAP and other procedures were put in place to prevent any problems.

Now with 5.00 and higher, these phones can be put into a special ERL that send the calls to an RLI that locally terminates. Again, not generally a good practice, but has been allowed and endorsed by the PSAPs if you have the proper infrastructure in place to ensure calls were handled properly.

So you have plenty of options that are MUCH safer than the way you were thinking, and each of these would hold up much better in court. Remember the press will kill you as GHTrout says. It makes for a juicy story, and they will eat you alive!

911Guru

Thank you everyone for your input (I did get the pre-trans idea from the mental institute posts made previously). We have figured out an interim solution in co-operation with our service provider (yes, it is blocking 911 calls - TLD the TN and built an NFCR tree allow all but 911).

I would really like to rant about how vendors should be fixing problems instead of pointing fingers, but it isn't worth it.

Again, thanks guys for your input. I take the advise VERY serioulsy. When we move to 5.5 (from 4.5) we will be using ESA to provide 911 call treatment.

I suggest you implement ESA now in 4.50 and use the Mis-dial patch MPLR20340. You have your issue fixed for these lines, but you still are blocking 911 and that is probably not a good thing to leave in.

ESA in 4.50 will add a lot of functionality for 911 handling today, and when you upgrade to 5.xx you will have half the work done. You just need to tweak the ERLs once upgraded.

My advice: DO IT NOW and be the hero! ;-)

911Guru

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back