Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

9100 cpu20 sip trunks, 2 new locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

cayres1003

IS-IT--Management
Aug 24, 2010
US
New install. 2 locations using AT&T sip trunks. The ATT router is an edgewater router at both.
We have a fortigate firewall between us and them.
In bound has been working without fail.
But the inbound is sporadic at both sites. I can go 1 day or 5 days before we start having issues dialing out. It does seem that the issues are more in the morning than in the afternoon. We have been working on this for 6 weeks now.

I have tickets open with NEC, Fortigate, and AT&T in case you are wondering.

What ATT is saying is that that "... found an issue with the SIP set-up time in the Invite. It is set as 180 and it should be 900 or higher".
NEC is not sure to what they are referring exactly. I am not either. I am not convinced this is the issue, but this is first time in 6 weeks they have giving me anything to work with other than me trying to figure it myself.

Looking for Ideas.

Yesterday, I did put one of the locations directly on the ATT router bypassing the firewall, just for another test. Waiting to see the results.

Have you tried changing the Invite in 84-20-06 ,the default is 180.

no because I thought that was for sip extension only. Third party sip to cpu.. Not necessarily related to an outbound sip call.

I have found that routers are the issue most of the time with UDP timeout.

I agree with you on that. Just haven't had this issue in a long time. I am not sure where the timer is at

Have you tried 84-14-18 in an attempt to keep the UDP port open? Might be worth a try. I'd try a setting of 21 seconds or so.

Oops. Looks like the minimum is 60. You may have to change the UDP timeout in the router.

Ya, I would double whatever the PBX is in the router. That way if there is a lost packet you still can catch it.

Well, that is where I can currently concentrating, the firewall. I found the udp timeout timer. Changed it from 180 to 900. Waiting to see how things act.

so it made it work and not work. Work and not work. Over a period of time. Not quickly.
I changed the timer in the firewall back to 180. But I am convinced it has something to do with it.

What was the result of your router bypass (first post)?
Have you tried disabling SIP ALG (or sip-helper) in the firewall?
Any chance you could do a packet capture (via WebPro) with just the SIP Trunking filter enabled when you're having outbound failures?

By the way, what do you see (on your LCD) or hear when you try to call out and it fails? Are these sites linked in any way (CCIS, Netlink,?)?

Do not match udp timeout in phone system to router. Smaller timer on phone system larger on router.

If your router UDP timeout is 180, and you have 10-23-05 (Keep Alive...) enabled for all 10 digits, 84-14-18 at 60, and 84-14-19 at 5, UDP timeout should not be the culprit. This should send an OPTIONS request every 60 seconds as a Keep-Alive and keep the port open. A packet capture would be very telling.

So, first of all, thanks for the suggestions and questions. Somehow, I haven't been getting notifications of any posts.

I think we got it figured out. It turns out it looks like a firewall issue. NTAC didn't really have any suggestions. They basically pointed to the carrier. Carrier was just pointing back. We started looking at the firewall.

After a lot of troubleshooting and having to escalate, the issue was the NAT setting. I had it on for both in bound and out bound. We removed it from the inbound and it fixed the outbound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back