Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

90% priority for one vlan

Status
Not open for further replies.

lohelle

Technical User
Mar 25, 2006
NO
I have a cisco 1812 router with two routers (internet via two different gprs/edge routers) connected. Both are NAT routers

I want to prioritize the traffic to and from one of the two local subnets/vlans

local interfaces:
interface FastEthernet0/0.2
encapsulation dot1Q 2
ip address 10.0.1.1 255.255.255.0
!
interface FastEthernet0/0.3
encapsulation dot1Q 3
ip address 10.0.2.1 255.255.255.0

interfaces connecting to the vlans for the two routers:
interface FastEthernet0/0.101
encapsulation dot1Q 101
ip address 192.168.0.254 255.255.255.0
!
interface FastEthernet0/0.102
encapsulation dot1Q 102
ip address 192.168.1.254 255.255.255.0

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 FastEthernet0/0.102 192.168.1.1 50 track 120
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 FastEthernet0/0.101 192.168.0.99 100

router1 have ip 192.168.1.1 and are connected to vlan 102
router2 have ip 192.168.0.99 and are connected to vlan 101

The cisco 2960 switch connected to fastethernet0 does not have a lot of qos features.

I want to give vlan2 (10.0.1.1/24) 90% of the bandwidth (congestion). Vlan3 should get more bandwidth if availible.

CBWFQ is only supporting output service policy.. How can I do this? the speed through the routers are not stable (depends on the signal quality)
If 10 computers (5 on each subnet) are downloading simultanously I want 90% of the bandwidth to go to vlan2.

Example config would be really really nice!

WELL.... the thing you wish to do is not trivial. Are both routers connected to the same ISP?

not the same ISP and variable bandwidth..

The second router is for failover when/if the first loose the connection. Failover are done via IP SLA monitor and track rtr.

Typically this is done via multihoming BGP. That's a bit complicated and you'd need permission from your ISP who would likely try to discourage you from doing it with stories of how complicated it is.

CBWFQ is a queue - as in, it gives precedence to certain traffic on an interface based on user defined classes. CBWFQ can not control routing which is what you wish it to do.

To the best of my knowledge, it can't be done. (Somebody else is welcome to prove me wrong on this) However, what you COULD do is setup a route map. Pick all the desireable traffic and send it to one ISP. Send the rest (napster, ect) to the slower one.

I already have the routing up and running. I'm using ip sla and track rtr for failover.
It is the priority (bandwidth) I'm working on

lohelle,

...i am a little confused how packets will be flowing from internal LAN's to vice versa..

...i see that you have given static routes with metrics of 50 and 100 that looks like its pointing into LANs' (192.168.x.x).
.,.but it looks like traffic flows to the 10.x.x.x subnets to get to www.

..also are you saying you have three routers total?

...if you do, could you implement some routing protocol between these routers that utilizes unequal load balancing..

I'm using track rtr and IP sla to set ONE active route
I have a cisco 1800 router with 2 non-cisco routers giving "broadband" connection via cellular networks. This is on a ship at sea.

So I do not need to know how to route the traffic.. I need to know how to prioritize the traffic
All traffic from the two lan segments are using the same router simultanously, and track rtr is telling the 1800 which of them to use (one of them are the primary. If that one have no internet connection the other one will be the active one (based on static routing priority)

Interesting stuff! Never ceases to amaze me - the more I learn, the less I seem to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back