Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

9 Days Until I Take My CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludoggg

MIS
Oct 25, 2002
US
I am using two books, one by Sybex and the other Cisco Press, I have router and switch at home I can use commands on and I am using resources from celticrover.com. to help me pass. Last time I took it, I received an 834. Any last minute suggestions to get me over the hump? Thanks so much guys!!!

kumputirgeek, CHDP, Network +

The very first thing to do either just before the timer starts (if they let you, different testing centers are different) or right after the timer starts, is to do a brain dump onto paper. This would be any stats, IP tables, tricks to workout the subnets etc.. anything at all that you might forget in the middle of the test and under pressure. Also, TAKE NOTES DURING THE TEST. If you happen to see a question that reminds you of something to remember, write it down!!

Besides, if you are ready, you are ready and the test will be a no brainer.

MikeS

Home of the book "Network Security Using Linux"

Make sure you know subnetting. Also, as Mike pointed out, do a brain dump on whatever they give you to write on. When I took the test I used the time give to me for the demo to write a bunch of stuff down. Good luck.

Jim W MCSE CCNA
Network Manager

The brain dump at the start of the test is the best piece of advice given me by my instructors. I studied, hard, learned all I could, and then hit the test.
I identified the areas where I was weakest, and took very good notes in that area. In the parking lot of the testing facility, I reread my notes on those subjects to get the info as fresh in my mind as possible, and then dumped it all on the scratch paper at the start of the test. This actually helped.

I also agree with taking notes throughout the test. Often, you will run across a question that will give an answer to another question, or at least validate your answer.

I also suggest lots of sleep the night before, and not too much coffee before the test. It is a long test, and you don’t want to waist time “taking care of other business”.

Best of luck, and let us know how you did.

Thanks for the heads up and I will hopefully be posting a passing score!!!

Hello all you router jockeys. I just took my test and got the same score I did last time, a 834 needing a 849 to pass. I read the Cisco Press books, practiced on the Boson v6.0 CCNP router and switch simulators, did the simulators and drop and drag on celticrover.com and did a massive brain dump right before the exam. What am I missing to get over the hump?

Hello
Take a shot at Testking.And get some hands-on with real Routers.On Ebay you can get two router and a switch for 300USD.
Good luck next time

I have a Testking V73 640-801.pdf I use to get a feel for the type of questions they asked. How valid are those since some answers to questions are wrong?

Don't stress too hard... I took the CCNA a couple of times before I passed too. It's probably the hardest of the Cisco certs for the fact that mostly newbies will be taking it. When I got my CCNP, I actually ended up passing all 4 exams on the first try. So, as you can see, things will get easier (sort of).
Now, you really should get some real life cisco equipment (if you can) and also check out testking. I also used the Sybex CCNA book for reference.

I purchased a 2514 router and a 1912 switch from cablesandkits.com. I have them configured real-time through my DSL modem. I know the IOS and hardware is archaic but it still keeps me in the Cisco mindset for troubleshooting. I do have a very interactive Boson simulator.

Should I download the latest Testking? I noticed that many of the questions are on the test but again, I also noticed that some of the answers are wrong. I just need enough help to get two more questions right so I can pass this!!!

What was your weakest area? If it is routing, get 2 or more routers and play with the routing protocols. If it is NAT or ACLs than play with those. You are so close so it is likely 1 or 2 areas that need work. I would focus on those areas and take it again soon. Do you remeber the questions that you had a hard time with?

I felt good throughout the whole exam. I will read the book again and go through all 600 Testking questions I have. I have plenty of simulator scenarios to try on. Just need some good karma to get me over the hump. I am too close at this point plus I am tired of reading the same books over and over :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back