Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

8x24 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

macphoneguy

IS-IT--Management
Feb 21, 2002
US
I have a Older 8x24 system with one M12x0 Module attached with two LS/GS Cards and they are wanting to add another line which would require the third card presuming I can find one locally and management approves the Cost, on adding it to existing mix I presume I will need a simular rev board to the existing boards, I presume I would need to power down the M12x0 module and add card and power up, or would I need to Down the Entire thing to add the card,
(I also presume I can't take a card from a Fiber 0x32 M12x0 module) is this correct or am I off in left field ?

if it fits it should work and yes you need to power down...may want to do a back up first

6 months until ski season starts...sadly i must resign myself to the warmer weather"this will include a normal 8-5 work day, 5 days a week"

whole system should be powered down

6 months until ski season starts...sadly i must resign myself to the warmer weather"this will include a normal 8-5 work day, 5 days a week"

Rule #1 with old systems like the 8x24 is always back them up as power loss leaves you with a 50/50 chance of keeping the system programing on many units. I have a few customers that discovered the hard way after an outage the system will go to default and more or less hoop a lot of the setting until reprogrammed. The card issue is simple, as there is a slot on the back of the cards to allow or not the use of the card and have heard of some being creative and making them fit with the help of some tools. Really not a good idea...power issues you know. Backup/powerdown/install/powerup.

I have just powered down the trunk modules only to add
cards. If the KSU doesn't see the new line card when you
power it back up, all you have to do is disable the card
slot of that trunk module and re enable it to get the
system to acknowledge the new card.

You can then obtain your KSU backup then using NRU 8.0
(not NRU 10 or 9.1).

This approach has always worked for me in the past without
any hiccups or problems.

Good Luck

There are only 2 seasons in Canada, Golf and Snowmobile season.

Thanks for the Info, do you know anyplace I can download or otherwise Get NRU 8 (I have been using norstar manager 3.5 to this point)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back