Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

8602 Failed to read from database.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wucked

IS-IT--Management
Mar 5, 2004
GB
Hi All,

Desperation sets in...

We have an NT4 server running Exchange 5.5 SP4 - Arcserve 6.5, Exchange Agent V2.0

Everything has been running smoothly until a recent exchange optimisation. Now we have a problem :-/ Please see an extract of the agent log and debug log below.

>MS Exchange Server Message -- Access is denied.
>Exchange Server Error. HrBackupOpenFile failed. Check DBagent Activity Log
>DBagent Error -- (305) "Exchange Server Error. HrBackupOpenFile
$ Try to call HrBackupEnd().
$ HrBackupEnd() is called.
$ DSAGetError(): errcode=305, Exchange Server Error. HrBackupOpenFile failed. Check DBagent Activity Log

All NTFS, Exchange agent service account, Policy rights and permissions are correct. I have re-created the backup jobs and re-installed the agent. I've been fluffing around with this for long enough to have run out of things to try, and am now running around in circles...

I'm pretty sure it's a problem local to this server, tests with the service account and backup job account on other servers have showed no issues. I have also found that I am able to perform a brick lvl backup, its just the DB lvl backup that is failing.

In short - I need some help! Any ideas guys?

I am assuming that you have resubmitted the backup job after performing the exchange optimization. I this correct?

I am not sure if everything is on the same machine or not. If you have a separate account created for the backup, try using the account that installed exchange as security for the backup. I have heard of issues on an exchange cluster where that was the only account that could perform the backup (from what you wrote I do not think you are running a cluster, but it is worth a try). Specify the account during the backup and possibly change the ARCserve system account to use this as a test. Or it could be worth a try to uninstall and reinstall the exchange agent. I believe the minimum build of the agent you would want is build 57 (I do not remember if there was a build in the 60s or not). Good luck.

Yep it's all hosted on the same machine. It's not a cluster, but worth a try... Thanks for you're help fritz! =)

The error was actually found to be a problem with the partition, rebuilt partition all works well, it just goes to show that error codes great as they are can be misleading.

If you dont ask you wont get :)
Steve Poole
Technical Analyst
Cinram UK ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back