Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

8600 SNMP eroor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mucka

Technical User
Dec 3, 2001
GB
Hi Guys , just installing a new 8600 with 4.0.2.6 ver
all works ok but at boot up gives the error SNMP-v3 UMS config error ,using default parameters you would be advised to update.

Any help much appreciated
Thanks
Mucka

Have you opened a ticket with Nortel yet?

Can you cut-n-paste the message here?

I know these systems will warn us on bootup if certain security parameters are at their default values, perhaps that is what you're seeing?

This is the message at boot up:-

SNMP-v3 USM configuration is currently using default parameters.
It is strongly recommended to change these parameters.

Thanks guys
Mucka

One of the things Nortel does now for security is to default the community strings at the time of a code upgrade. And more generally, they are concerned that anyone who knows the default settings would be able to contact your box using snmp.

The switch is telling you that default SNMP v3 settings are in effect.

You need to change them unless defaults are OK on your network.

For example, if I had JDM running on laptop connected to your network and went in with SNMP v3 using ID "initialmd5" with MD5 access and using password "initial" I could do what ever I wanted to with this switch -- that's normally not a good thing.

Thanks Guys , I get the message .
Much appreciated.
Mucka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back