Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

8600 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

PPCLI

Programmer
Jan 27, 2008
CA
I have 2 new 860 and only have serial conectivity since it is all fibre gbic. Can someone help me in assigning an ip address to them. I see a initial setup but do not know how to save it since it is all command line.

Thanks You in Advance

Hi,

Dont you have an RJ45 port on your Management card? in Slot 5 and or 6?

Lee

LEEroy
MCNE6,CCNP,CWNA,CCSA,Project+

It's really not that hard and anyone responsible for maintaining and ERS 8600 should probably by familiar with the CLI interface.

Let me assume that you're going to connect an ES 470 on ports 1/1 and 7/1 using a MultiLink trunk bridging the Default VLAN (VLAN 1). Lets assume that the VLAN1 will be 10.1.1.0/24 and the switch interface will be 10.1.1.1/24.

config vlan 1 ip create 10.1.1.1/24

config mlt 1 create
config mlt 1 add vlan 1
config mlt 1 add ports 1/1,7.1
config mlt 1 perform-tagging enable

We should disable STP on the MLT uplink on the ERS 8600

config ethernet 1/1 stg 1 stp disable
config ethernet 7/1 stg 1 stp disable

Note: the ES470 does NOT support auto negotiation so we need to disable auto-negotiation on the ERS 8600 switch to prevent problems

config ethernet 1/1 auto-negotiate disable
config ethernet 7/1 auto-negotiate disable

You would then obviously need to configure the ES 470 with a MLT (probably using the two GBIC ports 47, 48). You could give the ES 470 and IP address of 10.1.1.5/24.

enable
config terminal
vlan ports 47,48 tagging enable
vlan mgmt 1
mlt 1 disable
mlt 1 name "MLT-8600"
mlt 1 member 47,48
mlt 1 learning disable
mlt 1 enable
ip address switch 10.1.1.5 netmask 255.255.255.0 default-gateway 10.1.1.1

You could as LEEroy suggested configure the out-of-band management ports on the 869xSF switch fabrics with the following commands. I believe the default IPs of the out-of-band management ports are;

192.168.168.168/24 869xSF Slot 5
192.168.168.169/24 869xSF Slot 6

You can change the default with the following command

config bootconfig net mgmt ip x.x.x.x/x

Hopefully that should give you a good idea of how to get started.

Cheers!

I believe I forgot to tell you how to save the configuration;

save config
save bootconfig

Cheers!

Does the management port require a special cable

It can be either null-modem or straight thru, there should be a little switch beside the console port labeled DCE/DTE that you can use to change between the two.

If you are reffering to the out-of-band management port (RJ45-10/100BaseTX) on the front of the 869xSF you can use a regular straight thru CAT5 cable.

When running an install again I get an error master and standby config must be on the same subnet.

anyone seen this

I only change the settings that are on the main install I do not see a master and standy referenced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back