Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

860 Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

schalliol

Technical User
Jan 28, 2004
I see from Xerox information that the 860HD/A (the one that comes with the 860DX) looks like a platform for the drve and that's it. I can I go by a drive and install it? what ar ehte implications of doing this?e

THE ANSWER IS NO. THE HARD DISKS XEROX USES ARE BASICALLY LAPTOP HARD DRIVES. EVEN THE CONNECTORS ARE THE SAME. THE PROBLEM IS, THEY ARE FORMATED WITH PROPRIETARY CODE SO THE PRINTER CAN ONLY UTILIZE THE OEM HARD DRIVE. THEY RAN OUT OF 860 HD'S ABOUT A YEAR AGO. SORRY MAN

That's really crappy. They do indeed look like they're IDE laptop drives. Does no one know how to format them? If they don't sell them anymore, I don't see why they can't let us do this. Does anyone have such a drive that would be willing to create an image of this drive so we could use a utility to write to it?

There is a file on the xerox web site that formats the harddrive and setsup the postscrip file system. The file is named HD.exe. I have downloaded it but have not gotten the cable to hook the laptop drive to the printer to test yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back