Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

860 / 8200 DP upgrade 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

staggsy

Technical User
Jan 7, 2005
GB
I have an 860B and have been offered an 8200 which is duplex (but doesn't appear to boot up so is being written off).

Two questions:

1) will the chip from the 8200 upgrade mine to 860DP or is it not compatible?
2) if so, how difficult is it to remove the chip from the 8200 (I'd prefer not to have to pay for the sending of the whole 8200)?

thanks

A couple of things:

1) The firmware for the 850's, 860's, and 8200's can be either programmed into the formatter board or located on an upgrade ROM -- if the donor printer came from the factory as a DP, that feature is programmed into the formattter board and you'll have to swap that specific part (versus plugging in a rom module)

2) Although the 840/850/860/8200 are basically the same printer (esp the 860/8200), it's highly unadvisable that you interchange parts such as the print head, ink loader, and *some* of the PCB's between models.

3) If the donor 8200 fails to boot, there's a slim chance that the formatter board you are thinking about putting in your 860 is at fault (I'd suspect the power control board and power supply first, though), thereby rendering it useless anyway.

If you want the DP features, find a used 860DP formatter board, else shell out the $250+ and get the rom upgrade from Xerox.

ifixprinters

Oh yeah, and the other thing is that an 860 won't work with an 8200 *rom*

Hi ifixprinters

Thanks for that - I probably knew it was a silly idea to start with.

As for the ROM upgrade being only $250, that's less than I've been quoted with my local supplier - they said the ROM would be $1800! Do you know of somewhere that would sell the part for $250?

thanks again
Anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back