Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

8535 - Failed to receive data from the client agent

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiddleWork

IS-IT--Management
Apr 6, 2004
GB
After I had to recreate our backup job on Monday, I have been receiving the following error when backing up two UNIX servers...

8535 - Failed to receive data from the client agent.

We are running ARCserve V9 (build 2020) on a Windows server. We have a scheduled rotation job setup…5-day incremental with a full backup on a Friday.

The backup starts off fine and I can perform a manual backup on selected directories on both servers.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

Thank you.

Something is causing a break in the communication log enough to cause the timeout. Could be a network problem, or something contending with the backup agent, it might even be data related.

I had the same problem recently on one site and ended up recreating the job from scratch as I had spent a lot of time trying everything possible! Unless you have buckets of time to spare, I'd advise doing likewise.
After recreating the job all is fine - if you find a solution - please post it!

Thanks for the replies.

I sorted the problem by firstly increasing the send and receive timeout on the backup server...

\\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ComputerAssociates\BrightStor ARCserveBackup\Base\Task\Remote

The servers would then backup, however they would take forever to do so. After checking the logs I realised I had left File Estimate enabled when I recreated the Job. I disabled this and everything is back to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back