Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

8434D Display problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 10, 2003
US
Hey gang....We have a user that has an 8434D phone that works, but shows no display. I moved the phone to another 8434d user and the phone works fine. Do these digital phones use 2 pair?

Thanks

Yeah, but they need power on the brown pair. They probably kicked the power adapter under the desk.

-CL

lopes1211 has you in the right direction. It may even be one of these little cheesy heaters that has tripped the breaker on one of those even cheesier power strips...

white/blue pair to port.
Adaptor to white/brown pair to transformer.

Mike Jones
LSUHSC

We used to have a lot of problems with this until we put the power adapter in the closet and applied power there.

How do you have the power adapter in the closet and providing power to the phone? I currently have a bunch of 8434's that I'd like to do something like that with. Can one powersupply handle multiple phones?

There is a closet power supply which gives 48V on each one of 50 pairs on a small peice of 110. It's about the size of a shoebox. They've been around forever but even will power the 4600 IP phones. I'll need to look up the Lucent part number. I think have a spare in the garage somewhere.

-CL

I use the standard 48 VDC power supply in my telecom closets. They run about $25. Just a small transformer (cube), that plugs into the wall outlet. On the bottom it has an RJ-11 plug, from there use a very short line cord to a small RJ-11 jack, then tie your jumper wire to the green/ red, cross-connect / daisy chain to your station wires (white/brown). I’ve done up to five phones on one transformer.

Gary L. Smith
Telephone Systems Engineer
The University of Mississippi
Telecommunications Department

smaslin,

there are lot of bulk power supplies available from avaya, for example 1145b model that provides 32 power ports for dcp phones. its p/n is 111883, by the way. :)

The simplest and cheapest method is to use the adapter you already have that came with the phone. Connect to the brown/white pair as G3rtech stated. This assumes your building is wired with 4pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back