Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

8400/8550 and paper dust

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicksims

Technical User
Feb 13, 2005
US
Xerox just switched out my 8400 for the newer 8550. They have replaced the printhead a few times already- I had a persistent stripes problem that would come back periodically.

Short story- they didn't directly blame the media I was using, but the discussion came up. If the paper I am using (we make invitations, stationery...), which often is an 80# cardstock (within the weight spec), how can I tell if the paper dust is really the issue?

I often cut the paper down (to various sizes) on an industrial hydraulic cutter- not a crafting paper trimmer which I could see producing edges that are rough and "dusty." This particular paper has a light texture to it- but very light. Even the tech thought the paper shouldn't really be the issue. We use a great deal of smooth cardstock also as well as vellum, transparencies, and the occasional pseudo-metallic cardstock. A long time ago we would experiment and put through all sorts of papers with amazing results.

I haven't used handmade papers in this maching in a long, long time. We use them, but not to print upon. (and definitely not since the printhead has been replaced along with a few other cleaning parts)

So I'm wondering if...
1. Has the 8550 been updated to maybe not be a victim of striping so much? (the stripes we'd get were generally about a 1/4" wide and usually close to or down the center.)
2. How can I tell if a paper is too dusty for the printer? I figure this must be subjective.
3. If paper dust really was the Stripes culprit, any suggestions on reducing the dust buildup?
4. The stripes test uses so much ink- does the Remove Print Smears cleaning help with the dust? It seems to go through some sheets of paper which then go towards my inkjet or fax machine- no ink or paper wasted!

Thanks for any opinions on this.
Nick

What is the SN# of your printer?

There is a firmware update for some of the 8500's and 8550's.

I think it started with XW00... I'll check when I get in today. The 8400DP is the one that had the stripes issues. That got swapped out for a replacement 8400. Within days, the stripes came back. Xerox thought it was the paper, but still replaced that with a refurbished 8550DP (I would hope it has the firmware update!)

I've had it for about a week now. I've only used a high quality, 24#, nice HP laser paper (no texture or odd sizes, bright white and smooth) in it so paper dust shouldn't have been a major concern. And yesterday I had to run the stripes tests due to stripes. I do like how the new model has some more detailed cleaning procedures.

Nick

I have the 8400 dp and the stripes are a permanent problem. Just don't know what to do.

Can anybody tell me what the differences are between the 8400 and the 8500 ? would changing to the new machines be a good idea ?

papiste:

The 8500 is faster and so far it looks to me like the color matching is better. The machine looks and acts the same. The cleaning procedures are a little more in depth.

As for stripes, I've only had the 8550 for less than 2 wks so I can't vouch for that. I hope I don't have the same striping issues.

If you do change machines, be aware that the ink you have for the 8400 isn't for use in the 8500. I've been told that the ink is different and improved.

Nick

jdwvw:

I did check the serial # and the firmware updates are in order.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back