Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

840 jog accounting log

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pamelas

Technical User
Nov 11, 2001
AU
Our Phaser 840 had to be renetworked after our server died. The job accounting log has stopped indicating user names and file names. This was a very useful tool.

I visited the Tektronix troubleshooting page and their solution was as follows:

"The protocol being used to print over a network connection determines the amount of information reported in the job accounting logs. For example, if print jobs are submitted over Appletalk, the job accounting log will not display Host Name, File Name and/or Job Name. In this case, it is recommended to use LPR when printing from a Mac. Reference knowledge base document 43004 for additional information.

If printing over Appsocket (port 9100) from a Windows 2000 machine or Windows XP machine, the User Name and Host Name will not be included in the job accounting logs. To avoid this, print over LPR. For Windows 2000, reference document 37027. For Windows XP, reference the Microsoft documentation."

We're not using Apple and we're not printing from Win2000 or XP. We are printing over Appsocket.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

P,

What OS are you printing from? According to the Xerox website Appsocket protocol does NOT support the accounting information that you desire. If you're on a windows based platform, you can install an "LPR Port" using the instructions provided by Xerox. LPR protocol supports the accounting information you're looking for. I have a similar problem but I want to know how to activate this on a Solaris system. I'm using lpr to print to the printer, but I don't get accounting info either.

I found what I was doing wrong on the Solaris side. When I created the queue, it created it using the AppSocket port, ie 9100 instead of creating it using the default lpr port. I just modified the printer settings by doing "lpadmin -p printername -s fullname:auto". That seemed to restore the accounting information.

Hi guys, thanks for the advice, however while I was on leave, the whole printer died! Problem solved.

Now I'm doing battle with a Kyocera Mita.

cheers and thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back