Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

8200 - print head swap - procedure / walklthough ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrtimzo

Technical User
Dec 6, 2004
CA
Hi,

I'm just acquiring a "p8200 for parts" from ebay (current unit suspected to have damaged PS or PS Control board, diagnosed based on error codes, results in persistent Xerox logo @ power-up). Originally I had planned to swap out the PS and PS Control board into my current unit. However, the only known problem with the "ebay unit" is the print head needs replacing (persistent stripes on printoutput) and I'm curious, maybe it is easier to change out the print head from the "ebay unit" rather than the PSControl board (from "my old unit" (this PSControlBoard seems to be quite buried internally..)

Any comments about which is the easier route.. or ...are there any postings / info hidden on websites which give hints on either of these procedures .. ?

Any assistance would be *greatly* appreciated.

Thanks!

Tim

You may have 2 bad heads on your hands. The printhead has been known to cause the problems such as blank display or locking up with the xerox splash screen on the display. To replace the head remove the covers and ink load assy. Remove the metal shield above the head by 1 screw on right side near belt. Then rotate x axis motor so head is near middle of its travel, remove grey ribbon cable, yellow power cable, and black ground wire, loosen 2 screws located in brown mounting blocks on each side, they will spring up when fully released, then lift head out, you may need to slowly lift up each side a little at a time if fit is really tight, the head needs to come up fairly evenly or it will get stuck if cocked on either side. Just reverse to reinstall. Good luck.

Hi,

Thanks for this info. I'm "pretty sure" the problem is power-supply/control board related, b/c the problems began intermittently over a span of ~1 month, and in that time, error codes we could pull from the unit were all VERY consistent. During these times, the unit printed VERY nicely, just that if it was shut down, it needed to "cool off" overnight before it would boot past the xerox logo. Finally after ~1mo, it would no longer boot.

Dare I ask, have you any comments on how to get the PS Control board out of the 8200 ? (ie, the board which is perpendicular to the power supply, into which the easily removed PS module is plugs...)?

I ask b/c my "ebay" P8200 "parts" unit just arrived, it lacks the duplex features our other 8200 has, which we prefer to keep given the choice. The ebay parts unit does power up normally and print, just with expected deficiencies of bad print head (many stripes on output that clean-printhead cycles will not resolve).. so .. I prefer to swap the PSU and PSU/control board from the non-duplex unit into our duplex unit, given the choice ... and a not-entirely-hellish procedure :) hopefully.

Thanks!

-T

Thanks!

Replcing the power control board is not difficult. You need to remove the power supply and main board, remove the 2 blank covers on the back. Disconnect all the connectors along the each side that connect to the board, remove the metal plate under the inkloader and disconnect the cabling along the top of the board. Through the rear openings you can see 4 screws securing the power control board, remove these then pull the board out through the top. Simply reverse to install. Hope this helps.

Hi,

sounds perfect - thanks for these directions WRT the PCBoard. I'll give it a go and let you know how things work out.

--Tim

Hi, followup on this: silly question probably, but:

-> InkLoader (ie, the place where you physically put the ink into the machine) .. has 2 screws near back L/R of unit. I can't see what else I need to be doing to release this plastic module in order to expose the "metal plate under inkloader". I am suspecting that the paper-roller immediately above the ink loader may have to come out, but wanted to confirm before proceeding.

Back and side panels are off no problems, as are all plugs connecting to the PSU and PSU Control board from both L and R sides.. so progress is being made (slowly but surely)...

Thanks!

Tim

Yes the ink loader is where you put the ink sticks. The ink loader has 4 screws, release the spring loaded pusher blocks by unsnaping the arms on each side then the ink load cover will come off then the ink loader. Hope this clears it up.

Hi,

Thanks for pointing this out - for some reason I had convinced myself there were only 2 screws (not 4). Odd. Guess one shouldn't do this sort of work "when too tired" :)

I just completed the removal / replacement of parts from Donor to Recipient machine, and things have gone swimmingly - our p8200dp is now booting up and printing normally.

Oddly, after putting the "donor" back togother with the "suspect" parts (PSU and PSU Ctrl.Board) - it is ALSO able to boot up and behave normally. Not exactly what I had expected.

Anyhow, the main machine is back togother and running well, so I'm thrilled. Thanks again VERY much for all your help.

---Tim Chipman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back