Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

8020 Error on Web Server using Pervasive v8 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclecake2

Programmer
Jul 20, 2009
US
Yes, I know we are using old Pervasive v8 software, but it is what I have to work with for now. [sad] I have internal software that access our db (which works fine when installed on the server) and I made a web app that needs to access it as well. I have researched this and worked on it for days now and I can't think of anything else to do. I don't know if it has to do with a 32 bit app or possibly permissions from a web server or if that the W3DBSMGR.EXE isn't running (I haven't done anything with it)... I just don't know and I am stuck! Any help would be appreciated. Below are some of the things that I have looked at.

1. On my development computer as well as my web server I have the client version installed. It works great in a test environment on my development computer.
2. I am using IIS 8.5.
3. I am calling w3btrv7.dll. (This is one worry. I have IIS to run 32 bit apps, I don't know if this is part of the problem.)
4. This is what the psvw.log says:
Date Time Component Process Process Name Machine Name Type Category Msg ID Message
---------- -------- --------------- -------- --------------- --------------- ---- ---------- -------- --------------------------------------------------
07-16-2014 10:28:59 W3CACHE 00001094 W3DBSMGR.EXE ASP2K12 I MicroKernel is using default settings.

The 8020 is a pathing issue. The application cannot find the DLLs needed. Since you're using V8, you need to add PVSW\BIN to the system path so that the IIS user can see it.
You should probably turn off the Cache engine as well.

Mirtheil
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

Okay, it was my hope to hear from you! I assumed that your conclusion was my problem, but I don't know how to solve it with my lack of knowledge. I checked the path and I found that "C:\PVSW\bin" was already in the system path. It was my hope not to find it there and it would be an easy fix. I didn't configure the permissions, but I was told that they are all set correctly which gives IIS access to the PVSW folder.

I just created a text file in the (C:\PVSW\Bin\test.txt") folder and I was able to read it putting the complete path in. I would assume this would tell me that I have access to the folder.

You were on the right track and it helped me solve the problem, so THANK YOU! I don't fully understand what solved it, but I added the w3btrv7.dll as a native module in IIS, but it broke it (503 error web page). I did it over and over (adding and removing the native module in IIS) trying different things. In the end, I had removed the w3btrv7.dll from the native module and it worked for some reason. So, I am not sure what the ultimate solution was, but as you said, IIS wasn't seeing or getting access (missing file) to the directory. It is still working, from late Friday night when I was able to get it working.

Should I still disable the Cache engine? If so, what does that do and where do I do it. I looked it up, but I couldn't find much on it to give me a definitive answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back