Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

802.1q trunking between Cisco and Bay switches 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobthecat

Technical User
Jul 12, 2001
GB
Hi, I am trying to trunk a Cisco 5500 and a Bay450t using 802.1q but with no success. I have checked the Cisco module and its capabilities include dot1q. I have set the cisco port to a trunk and used type dot1.q, I then set the trunk on the Bay as tagged a member of all the vlans. They are connected via fibre and the link is up and working fine but if I change the ports to anything other that vlan1 (management Vlan) my test PC stops responding.
Any ideas

Bob ^^

hi in the 450, you need to make a VLAN and assign it to the ports in question, and then change the PVID of the untagged ports to match the VLAN (why this is not automatic is not clear to me)

VLAN Configuration

Create VLAN: [ 1045 ] VLAN Type: [ Port-Based ]
Delete VLAN: [ ] Protocol Id (PID): [ None ]
VLAN Name: [ Meikle TLAN ] User-Defined PID: [ 0x0000 ]
Management VLAN: [ No ] VLAN State: [ Active ]

Port Membership
1-6 7-12 13-18 19-24 25-26
------ ------ ------ ------ ------

Unit #1 ------ ------ UUUUUU UUUU-- TT

VLAN Port Configuration

Port: [ 13 ]
Filter Tagged Frames: [ No ]
Filter Untagged Frames: [ No ]
Filter Unregistered Frames: [ No ]
Port Name: [ Port 13 ]
PVID: [ 1045 ]
Port Priority: [ 7 ]
Tagging: [ Untagged Access ]

VLAN Port Configuration

Port: [ 25 ]
Filter Tagged Frames: [ No ]
Filter Untagged Frames: [ No ]
Filter Unregistered Frames: [ No ]
Port Name: [ Port 25 ]
PVID: [ 1 ]
Port Priority: [ 0 ]
Tagging: [ Tagged Trunk ]

The one thing you can't give for your heart's desire is your heart. - Lois McMaster Bujold

I am not sure if you can trunk between the 2 vendors. I think CISCO tags frames like an incapsulation and Nortel puts there tags in part of the IP header.

Hope this helps My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my knowledge.
Scott
s-tomlin@home.net

in bay network the trunk encapsulation is dot1q for all ports,so if u wana trunk thru cisco u make scisco switch port trunk and encapsulation dot1q it will communicate.

Hi folks,

I'm freakin' out... Struggling with the same problem for some time, it still does not work.

Currently I am running a Cisco Cat 4000 with 18-Port fiber and some Nortel BayStack 450-24T with 1000SX MDA.

On the Cat4000 the port connecting BayStack port encapsulation is set to dot1q and port mode is set to trunking. As bobthecat, I am able to ping any machine in VLAN1 on eihter switch, but I do not "see" the VLANs I have defined on the catalyst (which btw. acts as VTP Server in VTPDomain xytest).

The MDA (Port 25) in my BayStack is set to Tagging Access.

I've tried the hints I've found here, but no success... :'(

*Any* adwise is deeply appreciated.

Cheers.

We do have a running config between cisco catalyst 6509 and BayStack 450.

On the Cisco: configure a port for trunk with encapsulation "dot1q". Assign the native VLAN to 1 (default). Set the negotiation to off (it MUST connect).

On the BayStack: Set a port to "tagged access". You don't have to define VLANs, but put all VLAN that need to be transportet do the trunking port. Assign the PVID of that port to 1 (same as Cisco default).

ATTENTION: DONT USE CHANNELING or MULTILINK-TRUNKS. That doesn't work. This might work, but it will most certainly not. Even if it does seem to work in the first, it will produce strange errors on the network. Also if you have configured a MLT previously and reverted the config: use another port. The config seems to be persistant.

I hope to have mentioned everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back