Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

802.11b and 8.211g - compatible??

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobdylan

Technical User
Mar 7, 2001
GB
Hi

I am new to wireless and have just got hold of a Belkin 802.11b wireless router. I have configured this without any problems except I cannot connect my laptop to it! The laptop has a built in 802.11g connection. My question is should the 802.11g talk to the 802.11b router without any problems or do I need to get an updated router?

Thanks

it should definately work. Obviously on the 11G card, you will only get 11mb instead of the 54mb, but the technology should allow you to connect. I don't know this Belkin of course, but can't imagine it stops it.
Double check the ssid, mac address filter and if you have got encryption, make sure it entered correct

CCNA, CCNP..partly ;)

Should work as MTandSAV indicates. I would try and make sure you have the latest drivers.

To start with, also disable the encryption and get it working, then enable it.

Mmmm having no joy with this whatsoever. Beginning to think that something is not working here, I'm gonna borrow a friend's 11g USB adapter tomorrow and plug that into the lappy to see if it makes any difference at all.... :-(

The router seems fine as I can see it from my home PC and can surf the net via it with no probs....

Just can't attach my laptop to it!!

Is this router new ? If not reset to factory defaults and add your SSID , WEP and if wanted mac address filtering . If you reset the router and your wireless nic to defaults you should be able to the AP .

Thanks for all the help guys, I have managed to get onto the router now but one problem I have encountered is that there are other wireless networks around this area and it keeps dropping my connection and attaching to another one.

I've read that you can configure it so that it'll only pick up the SSID from my network and no other, only problem is where do I input this??

I've looked all through the web browser settings without any luck.. maybe this router (Belkin F5D6231-4) is not able to do this??

Thanks for any help..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back