Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

801 CCNA Getting Ready for it. Any Latest Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NetworkGuy101

IS-IT--Management
Aug 13, 2002
US
Im getting ready to take the Cisco CCNA 801 Test. I have used some sims and have alot of hands on. THe sim was terrible. I could not get it to configure a VLAN correctly or assign an IP Address. It froze on me all the time. maybe because it was free, I dont know. I would like to get a good round of practice with a switch without paying an arm and leg for it. ANy online labs or sims that are good? I have a 2500 Series router and though about buying a switch of ebay or something. Any Suggestions?

sells decent router simulation. Although, available commands are very limited, but it still works for CCNA.

If you want to go for professional level after CCNA, I suggest obtain at least 3 routers and 2 switches to play around. You can get good working 2500s router for less than 100 bucks and 2924xl switch for around 150 or so. Don't even bother buying catalyst 1900. They are worthless and useless. E-bay is good. I bought 5+ 2500 series routers there. and few switches and a pix.
Good Luck.

Microbyte
[medal][medal]

Well I have a 2500 Series Router and someone gave me a 1900 Switch over the weekend. Is this good enough for the CCNA practice?

Definitely better than nothing.....provided you have the Enterprise software running on the switch so that you can do vlans, etc....

Yes it is enterprise. I havent seen a switch witout it. Is this common?

Cisco Router 2500 series cisco 2524 Ethernet 10Mbps
This is what I am planning to buy??..any suggestions...

...Or use a routersim simulation, I purchased a license and it works like a champ for around $200.00 used copy.

Sims are good but I just cant beat the feeling when I look out in my garage and see a server rack operating at its fullest. Maybe thats going a little to far. By the way, Anbody use Ethernet over powerline? I have my house hooked up and it is great.

Hey 6839470,
I would get a 2501 or 2503, the 2524 is a modular router and the 5 in 1 serial interface for it will cost as much as the router, unless you find one with it already, most I see on Ebay have just the ISDN module.

The whole idea is to get several and connect the seral ports and set up routing.

Both the 2501 and 2503 have 2 serial interfaces in addition to the 1 ethernet aui.

As I have told others - read ad carefully and then go to Cisco or Google and search for what it is you want!!!

From Cisco on the 2524 and 2525 routers -
--------------------------------------------------------

Overview of the Cisco 2524 and Cisco 2525 Routers

The Cisco 2524 and Cisco 2525 routers provide LAN and WAN access in a low-cost modular router platform that can grow with your internetworking needs. The Cisco 2524 offers an Ethernet (attachment unit interface [AUI] or 10BaseT) LAN connection, and the Cisco 2525 offers a Token Ring (shielded twisted-pair [STP] or unshielded twisted-pair [UTP]) LAN connection. Both routers can accommodate up to three WAN modules--two synchronous serial and one Integrated Services Digital Network (ISDN).

The choice of synchronous serial WAN modules is as follows:

2-wire switched 56-kbps data service unit/channel service unit (DSU/CSU)

4-wire 56/64-kbps DSU/CSU

Fractional T1/T1 DSU/CSU

Five-in-one synchronous serial

-------------------------------------------------------

Good luck !!!!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Hey Guys,

If you have a couple of 2500 routers that you want to link up via Serail - do you just connect them directly and routing works?

Akiwondo (MCSE, CCSE)

Akiwondo,
No, you have to configure the interfaces on both ends.

One will be a DCE and will need the clock rate set and the DTE will not need a clock rate. If the cables are not marked "DCE" or "DTE" you can do a show controlers command to see which is which.

By default the 2 connected serial interfaces will both be using HDLC so nothing needs to be changed here, then add IP address and subnet mask to each, they got to be in the same subnet (eg. 10.10.10.1/30 and 10.10.10.2/30).

You also will need to start a routing protocal such as RIP, IGRP, EIGRP etc.

Google the router you have - "Cisco 2501" and you should see links to Cisco for the 2500 routers with links to configuration information.

I hope this helps!!

E.A. Broda

Thanks,

I was interested in physical connectivity. So does the DCE or DTE (can remeber which is which is which) go in the serial port and the other end go in to the AUI port. This is the cable I have - if you now the ,odel no of the cable I should need please let me know.

Thanks Again..

Akiwondo (MCSE, CCSE)

Thanks,

I was interested in physical connectivity. So does the DCE or DTE (can remeber which is which is which) go in the serial port and the other end go in to the AUI port. This is the cable I have - if you now the ,model no of the cable I should need please let me know.

Thanks Again..

Akiwondo (MCSE, CCSE)

You will need a standard dce dte cable and both connect to the serial ports. one end of the cable will be marked DCE and the other DTE. The Aui port is used for a transceiver box to connect for an Ethernet connection. Do a search on Ebay for Dce Dte cable for a visual.

Akiwondo,
Two things - do a Google on "Cisco 2501" and follow links to Cisco and read about your router - only way to get a very good handle on them - GREAT documentation at Cisco.

Cisco site has everything including sample configs - just got to look !!!

2nd go to Anthony Panda - he has every cable you could imagine for Cisco routers, he has pictures and information about just about every cable, once you know what the cable is called - much easier to "google" it for more information.

And if you need one or any other part his prices are good. I have bought from him several times.

Good luck !!

E.A. Broda

ok.. i am also getting ready for my ccna... its in 4 days time. I did the training course for 640-607. I have done the bridging course, and would like to confirm one thing. does ipx feature on the 801 exam?

It seems to good to be true to just forget all the stuff i no about ipx (which isnt a lot actually)

Cheers
Wazz

infact while were at it (answering above question that is)
while doing the cisco router sim I am having problems setting the passowrd for telnet. I am using as follows
Lab_A(config)# line con 0
Lab_A(config-line)#login
Lab_A(config-line)#passowrd class
Lab_A(config-line)#line vty 0 4
Lab_A(config-line)#password class
Lab_A(config-line)#login
exit

Does the order you set login and declare password make a difference?
Anyone no if password reset is likely to appear on the new exam?

Cheers
Wazz

Wazz,
Lots of changes from 607 to the new CCNA exam - but Novell has been dropped!!!

Major differences - OSPF, EIGRP, VLSM, NAT, PAT, DHCP on the router side and a lot more switching (STP, VLANs, VTP, ETC.).

As for setting passwords on the lines (CON, AUX and VTY 0 4) you set password first and "login" 2nd.

The sim acts like a "real" router in that it will not take a wrong command, sometimes the "program" can not figure exactly what is wrong and puts the carret in the wromg place for errors that you do enter, but you will know something is not right - unless you type a "wrong" command in the right place, what I mean is a command that will work also there at that spot but not what it is looking for.

It will not tell you that was a wrong command at the right spot.

Good luck on your exam!!!

E.A. Broda

Cisco Guy,
Cheers for the reply. Very helpful! I wil concentrate my attention to those areas.
While were at it, do you have any idea what sort of focus there is on ISDN. I struggle with knowing what an nt2 is and connects to a TE whatever and a q protocol does this.... This still in the new version?

Thanking you !
Wazz

Wazz,

Yes, ISDN is still on the test and be happy if the worst ISDN question you get is something like "what is a NT1 or NT2 device".

On the WAN side you will see ISDN, PPP and Frame Relay on the CCNA exam.

GREAT website I send my students to all the time -
RouterGod - The online news magazine for Cisco Professionals...

They have "tongue-in-cheek" "interviews" with celbs about Cisco routers and switches - very funny in a geek way but the information to right on.

Makes it a little easier to study some of this stuff!!!

2 "interviews" about ISDN -

A RouterGod Exclusive! - Alicia Silverstone Discusses Basic ISDN

and

Gunney Sgt. Hartman at CCNA Boot Camp - ISDN Reference Points

I hope this helps!!

E.A. Broda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back