Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

800 Ahtlon has no display

Status
Not open for further replies.

nag83

Technical User
Jul 23, 2002
US
I recently upgraded my system with a new motherboard and a new cpu. I attempted to use my old system and, to my dismay, found that when it would load up there was no display. I've tested the video card, memory, monitor, and all the peripherals. I was wondering if anybody could tell me why this happened and if it has anything to do with the motherboard or cpu. Thanks

From the limited information you have posted I am guessing that you have simply connected the new motherboard and processor to the OLD setup????
This is not recommended as your harddrive will be configured with all the OLD motherboard drivers and invariably not work!
You will need to format and setup windows with the new motherboard drivers on your old harddrive. Martin Please let members know if there advice has helped any.

Yea, that sounds about right, although you might want to try to get into system on a safe mode, and remove the video drivers that way, and let the system find them again before the re-install. If you can't get in on safemode, do the install

My2Cents

I appreciate the info but I am not getting any display at all. No bios or cmos info, nothing at all. I push the power button I hear hard drive working and see lights come on but no display.

Have you tried clearing the BIOS, there should be a jumper fot this on the motherboard, it will be identified in the manual. All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Need more info (like motherboard & video card make/model, whether the video card is PCI or AGP, etc).

Do you hear any beeps during POST? If not, then the problem might actually be the monitor (perhaps a damaged cable or even more serious). It could also be an AGP incompatibility problem if you're using an old sytle AGP card with a new motherboard. Some cards require different voltages. Newer mobos usually have a universal AGP slot which accepts AGP 1.0 & 2.0 cards running at either 3.3V or 1.5V. In some cases however, particularly with Intel chipsets, they only use an AGP 2.0 slot that will only accept 1.5V. So first find out what you're video card requires (older ones run at 3.3V).

At the very least, try to re-seat the video card and cable then try again...
~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

The monitor works fine, the motherboard is an ABIT K7, its an Athlon 800 with a 32mb nvidia Vanta card AGP. I've tried it with a working PCI card but the same thing happens. I don't hear any beeps, and the bios and cmos have been reset and still nothing.

I am starting to think you have got a bad motherboard All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

That's what it sounds like to me as well. Your peripherals are coming on, so the power supply isn't the culprit. If it were an AGP video card, then I'd say another possibility would be the AGP slot. But since that's not the case, your mobo probably shorted...
~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Thanks for the help. I'll save up some money and buy a new motherboard :(

The suggestion that your drivers are incorrect is false. You would get an initial display as the machine POSTed, and if there was a driver problem it would only materialize after the OS had booted up, and even then I wouldn't expect anything worse than a minimum resolution and color display.

Sounds like a dodgy motherboard, CPU, or possibly memory. If you're using more than one DIMM, remove them all, place one in slot 0, and try booting. If that fails, replace the DIMM and try again. If that fails, then I'd put money on it being the motherboard or CPU. Make sure you've got the board speed set correctly, as anything higher than the CPU's specification could blow it.

Also, remove all peripherals except the VGA card and a DIMM before booting the machine.

In my humble opinion, before buying a new motherboard, do as bigscotsman says...take out all unneeded items. THAT INCLUDES UNPLUGGING ALL IDE/FLOPPY CABLES. ONE BACKWARDS IDE CABLE CAN CAUSE THIS. Leave Motherboard, RAM, CPU (and fan), Video. If no power then also try--

1) double check with the manual. RAM, if in the wrong slot will almost always result in no POST.
2) remove all front panel cables. (CAREFULLY) Use the tip of a screwdriver to momentarily short out the two pins used for the power switch connector. I have seen many, many people with these mixed up, resulting in no video. Have even seen many reset buttons stuck, resulting in a constant restart!
3) try breadboarding the system. Take the motherboard out of the case, use video, RAM, CPU (and fan), and power supply. If no video, then start replacing these items one at a time (as suggested by those above). If video comes up, then verify that you are not shorting. Especially look at standoff placement under the motherboard.

Your problem could very well be the motherboard, but taking a little time to make sure that it is not a 'little' thing can save you a lot of frustration and some $$ too!

Good luck! Mudskipper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back