Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

8 meg AGP vs 32 meg PCI.. WHich is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chunkey

Technical User
May 26, 2002
US
I am building a system up from spare parts. I have an 8 meg AGP card (STP Velocity 128) and a 16 meg PCI video card (voodo3 3000). WHich crad will be the best till I buy a new one?

It's probably a toss-up on those two, so why not try both and decide which one you like the best. Usually an AGP card is the best. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

I have to differ from Nobrains answer and say the Voodoo 3 3000 is a far faster card than the 8meg velocity.
Despite the PCI interface I recently fitted a V3 in a machine and had it playing Black and White nice and smoothly and thats some achievement for an older card.
Also is your AGP slot 4X? and is the Velocity 4X compatible? because obviously thats where the gains are between the two interfaces. Martin
Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

I did a little research on the Voodoo 3 and it has faster frame rates than Nvidia's TNT2 32mb (although it can only display 24bit colour) Voodoo diehards have also produced a non suported XP driver that does work
You are also talking about the 3000 and not the 2000, the 3000 has faster memory. Martin Just trying to help, sometimes falling short, I am only human after all.

I assumed he wasn't building a game computer, so I didn't think it would matter much. The Voodoo is a better card and safer to try if he has a 1X/2X/4X conflict. I agree with you, Martin! "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

I like my voodoo 3 3000 althoug I do want to upgrade.... But in CS (Counter Strike, a Half Life mod) I can max out on my frame rate at 100 fps....that was pretty amazing to me...

it all matters on how much physical ram (sdram, ddr sdram) you are wanting to put into ur graphics card...if you have 512 megs sdram...you should have sufficient ram to cover it....pci is slower because it actually has to request the mememory instead of just taking it like agp. i would probably recommed the 16meg one because i doubt the 8meg agp supports anything over 1x agp.

hope i helped
-jared weinfurtner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back