Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

8.6/W2k: Job Submitted to Run Now stuck Queued

Status
Not open for further replies.

ac0rn

IS-IT--Management
Jan 16, 2002
US
Trying to restore from a full system backup, submitted restore job to run NOW, but it just hangs... Sure do need to restore that data... Any advice at all would be appreciated!

which version ?

check kthe devices tab and make sure the media server hasn't paused itsself > if so, just uncheck it and they should start

Dog

got it.. sort of.. the problem is: BE (8.6 for NT or 2000) uses an account that is created upon installation to run its services. However, when you try to restore System State on a Domain Controller in Active Directory Restore Mode, the services will not start using this account. You have to tell the services to use the Local System account.

All well and good, but I have data backed up to an XP Pro workstation in this lab. I have created a share called "server_bak". The Server I'm trying to restore has a tape drive that is out of commission. Thus the network backup. Anyways, the XP machine will not let BE connect to the share, because it is using the server's LocalSystem account.

I still don't know what to do to solve this.

Right, so its a DC you are restoring, would that be a authoritative or non-authoritative restore (do you want AD to be replicated or not) > you cant use the BE (backup exec) service account because it doesnt exist ie. AD is empty at the moment, you have to either a) use the computers special account (system account) or the dir. service administrator account.

So let me get this straight, you were backing up TO the XP's hardrive by putting the backup-to-disk folder on there, and backup exec was installed locally on the server you are trying to restore ? If I am correct, in teh backup selections list, you should be able to click on that share > network (doing this a bit from memory) > reset defualt attach info >> force BE to attach as a user on the XP box that has admin rights. Should get round any rights issue you have

Hope my understanding is correct

Cheers
Dog

Thanks, dog, for the responses...

I guess I'm doing a non-authoritative restore. Doesn't really matter because there's only one domain controller (the one that i'm trying to restore).

Yes, you seem to understand what i'm trying to do exactly, sorry I wasn't very clear. I backed up the server to the xp box, then re-partitioned, reformatted, and reinstalled Windows 2k server. I set up DNS, Active Directory and DHCP, then tried to restore from the backup file on the XP box.

Now the server quit booting up, and I'm running emergency repair on it. It's been a lovely day.

If I ever get the server to boot again, I'll try your suggestion before i resort to manually re-creating everything in Active Directory :)

Thanks again

Acorn

right, note that if this is your only DC (might be an SBS setup we are talking about perhaps ?), when you select the system state restore, under one of the restore options (advanced tab perhaps , doing this from memory) ther is an option along the lines of "mark this as the primary arbitrator...." > this needs to be checked

I think you would be better off doing this:

a) Reinstall the OS and SP
b) configure your partitions back to the original size
c) make this server a workgroup environemnt
d) install backup exec in eval on the wannbe DC
e) boot into directory services restore mode >> note the services as previously mentioned ie, which accounts to start the BE services with
f) create a new B2D folder on the local machine
g) if you have enough space on there copy the BKF file over from the B2D folder on XP and put in the new B2D folder
h) inventory and catalog the B2D folder (just like you would do with a tape device)
i) select the C, D and system state etc in one job> restore

** Important > you will NOT be able to restore AD if the server does not have a physical connection to a hub (hub doesn't have to be attached to the network though).

Cheers, good luck and let me know how you go if you decide to go down that road
Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back