Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

8.01 to 9.0 Upgrade 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

plattze

IS-IT--Management
Feb 2, 2004
AU
Anyone done this?

I'm about to do it to our systems and wanted to know if anyone had any advice.

I'm just going around now installing v9.0 of System Center for all the admins, then I'm going to upgrade the server to 9.0.

My question is, after this. What happens with the clients? Do they automatically upgrade from 8.01 to v9.0 when they contact the server?

Can I tell SAVCE to force every client to update, or do I need to manually go and push it out to every client again?

Don't know about 8.1 - 9 but from 7.5 to 8 all you had to do was a remote NT Client Install from Tools in the SCC. I guess it will be pretty much the same.

Still awaiting my disks for 9... :(

Thanks for the reply.

I don't want to have to manually select everyone again, is it possible for everyone who currently has SAVCE 8.0, to automatically update to 9.0 when they next report into the server?

I'm starting to plan my migration as well; honestly the documentation doesn't seem to mention anywhere whether or not forcing the client to install will push out the new version. It makes sense to me that it would though...

However, I think I'm going to use group policy to push these things out to everyone as MSIs. That way I can just add it to my standard software deployment. We'll see how that goes ;)

I've done many upgrades with norton corp and the only safe way that I know is to delete your current group, do a full uninstall of the current software and install fresh with the new. Don't try to upgrade, you'll cause yourself alot of hassle.

it's faster in the long run to push out again, save alot of headache.

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

Any new experiences on this one? I am planning to migrate as well, but am a bit unsecure about the process. Is this how to do it:

1. Uninstall Symantec System Center (how can I keep the settings?)
2. Install the new version of Symantec System Center
3. Migrate the Antivirus Server
4. Deploy Symantec Client Security to clients ?

Anypne had problems with this, or is there another way to do it?

I use three servers:
The First, and second I uninstalled all Symantec stuff the other one I just upgraded it. None had issues but I am happier with the first 2.

There's nothing really to migeating the AV server, just the tweaking if you're doing a clean install, schedules etc.

In regards to the updating the clients just use the NT deployment tool on SSC it works fine for most clients. BUT you will get this one some if you're running Outlook;

Any that this doesn't fix its an uninstall and complete reinstall I am affraid.

Good Luck,
Iain

Can someone list the steps of a successful upgrade from 8.1 to 9.0! I am tentative to do the upgrade as I am unable to find the 8.1 CD. Although, it would only mean to d/l it from symantec's website.

Can someone list the steps of a successful upgrade from 8.1 to 9.0! I am tentative to do the upgrade as I am unable to find the 8.1 CD

Leave one server and one management station around at 8.1. That way if you have to rollback you can simply uninstall at the client, then reinstall from the server's vphome share or push out from the management station. Obviously, this isn't really an option if you have hundreds or thousands of workstations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back