Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

7920 wireless phone doesn’t roam 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoIPnovice

Technical User
Oct 30, 2005
MX
HI all

Infrastructure.

10 Cisco 7920 phones
6 Cisco Aironet 1200 APs whit omni directional antennas
2 3550 inline power switches

running call manager 4.1

My main problem is that the phones doesn’t roam between APs
I follow the recommendation of the manual of use none overlapping channels 1,6,11 and cell separation distance

When the phone is in the cell cover area the phone works ok but if the phone moves to another cell doesn’t roam the only way to change between APs is to shut down the phone and turn on again

But if I change to channel 1 all the APs it star to work the roaming but then I have another problem the calls drops suddenly at any time

If any of you guys have a similar system that work OK please send me an advice and if it possible to share configuration to compare

Regards

Hi rtfmdude

Thanks for you time to reply

I all ready follow this chapter of the design and deploy guide but am not getting succeed results

About your questions yes am only having native 1vlan because this is an exclusive Ip phone network no pcs or data is running across

And I have a layer 2 subnet configuration

Best regards

Make sure you are running the latest firmware on the 7920's. Have you used the tools on the 7920, like site survey and others. There is also a hidden menu that can be anabled by pressing a certain key sequence on the 7920. Search CCO for it. When you upgrade the firmware on the 7920, just apply it to one phone and test with that one firts. Is your're wireless LAN only for voice?

voipnovice,

in the hidden menu you should be able to modify the threshold that the phone uses to switch to a new AP - have you tried changing that? (forgot how to access the hidden menu - let me know if you need the procedure, I can dig it up)

Hi mia158, rtfmdude

I didn’t move any of the hidden setting in the phone am going to investigate about it but information is welcome

Also I se that the firmware are 1.80
I understand that changing the firmware are apply to all phones is that true?

My wireless network is only for voice no data on it

Regards

voipnovice,

there is a 2.0 version of firmware out - grab it here:

there's also a configuration utility for the phone, you might want to investigate that - I've never had an opportunity to play with that before, though it looks like you might need a special usb cable for that - do you have one of those?:

look for "Using the Cisco 7920 Configuration Utility"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back