Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

7400B Data Module

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlongman

Technical User
Mar 5, 2002
US
Can a modem be connected directly to a 7400B data module to provide a dial in connection for remote administration? If so please provide details. Thanks.

If your remote admin is off site or on just have them use a modem that is already on the pc. ASA/DSA or Terranova can be setup for use with a plan 9600 speed modem. You dial in the through the inad port. So many buttons So little time
Thanks All
Phoneman2

The user does not have permission to administer on the INADS port, I'm trying to provide and alternate means of remote administration. How do I attatch a modem to the PBX that will allow dial up administration capability. My first thought was to use a data term and connect a modem. If there is another way let me know, but if this will work, I woul like to know how it is done.

Thanks.

Are you on Release 9 or later? If so you can:

1. If your company has a remote access server(RAS) setup then you can dial in to this server and connect to the switch over tcp/ip. The far end pc will need to have ASA installed on it.

2. Install a modem on this person's pc at work along with pc anywhere(or software similiar). The software will also need to be installed on the far end pc. The user can dial in and connect to the switch over tcp/ip.

If you are on a release prior to R9 then you will probably need to use the second option with a data module instead of using tcp/ip. Unless someone else has another way.

And as always this poses a security risk. Take appropriate measures.

One other option is a Data Tracker (can be ordered via Avaya - probably other similar options out there from other suppliers) which has a built in Modem on one side, and connects to the same port as the SAT (SAT can in turn be plugged into the Tracker), this has a general password that needs to be entered prior to accessing the normal login prompt from the Definity.

This also allows upto 4 Devices to be accessed using one Dialup number (eg if you have them CMS, Conversant, MAP-D, ....)

Many programs can be used to dial up including PROCOMM or CV Terminal that is bundled with CV Supervisor, ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back