Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

7310 on ATA port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

USFBulls

IS-IT--Management
Jun 25, 2002
US
Can a digital phone be plugged into an ATA port? I am trying to get the best of both worlds. I need to share a line with a fax machine and I would like to have a norstar phone for this person as well. Any suggestions short of running new wiring or teaching the person to use an analog phone?

USF,
There are a number of ways to share the line but it is customary to bring a new circuit to the office and add another jack. Then all the line sharing equipment/connections reside at the KSU. If you need more info please provide detail on system, size and Telco service provision.
Using an ATA is one of the possibilities but may be the wrong method for you.
Cheers
PhM

I have an 0X32, currently have about 26 extensions, MICS 5.0, NAM 4.0, MOX8A, MOX16. Lines coming from Telco are T-1, using PRI w/ CID. It would be dificult at this point to run a new extension. So I need to find another option if possible. This user sends faxes, but most of the time needs a 7310 for regular telephone purposes.

USF,
For the purposes of this series of posts, a new jack is predicated on using available pairs in existing station wiring for the phone already in place. Norstar uses only one pair for all its funtions. Today's standards are usually demanding of 4 pair to each work station for voice.

In your case would recommend the ATA solution but mount the ATA in the equipment room and add the jack on available pairs in the office. The ATA would have a seperate DN and require the programming for a Data/Fax use.

If you alternately connected and disconnected your 7310 for the ATA you would have jumbled set programming features all the time.

PhM

There is a B2 device out there that gives you an analog line out on the b2 channel while the 7310 is on the B1 channel.

it is made by konexx and is the DWInt2

JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

JerryReeve,
Cool! How functional is the M7310 during a fax?

PhM

That is true Jerry I have used those before, but for a conference bridge. I ended up having to take them out due to them causing problems with the bridge, have you used them and how have they worked for you? Don't get me wrong I'm not saying they are not sufficient, just trying to see how they've work in other people's situations or experience.

All,
Just checked the konexx site. It looks as if it should work. There is a price on the site too. Based on the site price the ATA2 solution is way cheaper. Provided there is wire in the wall that is.. add wiring labour and you may be about the same.

PhM

Actually, I lied. Sorry, it was an ATA made by MCK that I removed and had to replace with the Konexx. I had it backwards.

I've played some with the Konexx ATA in our office and they seem to work well. The digital phone and the analog port can be on separate calls at the same time. Just need at least 2 intercoms assigned to the digital phone, and some setup programming in the Konexx ATA. Brian Cox
J & J Communications
brian@jandjcommunications.com

the konexx uses one if the 7310's intercom buttons (it lights up indicating usage) when the B2 device comes on line. a couple of problems that were noticed but did not kill their use was. 1. occasional lock ups that required disconnecting both phone and B2 device then re-connecting. and second is that the B2 device, when it goes off hook immediately accesses the outside lines. on my customer we are using routing tables so after the 9 is dialed there is no return dial tone, the modem hiccuped since it could not detect dial tone. (had to go in to modem setup and tell modem to ignore dialtone presence) JerryReeve
Communications Systems Int'l
com-sys.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back