Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

7200 Router IOS basic questions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mostecryder

IS-IT--Management
May 20, 2005
US
Hello,

I am new to Cisco 7200 Router. My question is can the router load up an IOS from a place other than the flash card? I have a router loading the IOS from the flash card and I want to have it loaded without it. I did a search on this and couldn't really find a specific answer. Any help would be grealy appreciated.

Hello there, depending on how much internal flash (simms) you should be able to have a image in internal flash. Just past a show ver in here, assumming that you will use the same image and I am going to verify for you to see if it's going to fit. Cheers and good luck

You can also use boot system commands in the configuration to load the IOS from a tftp server over the network although that is not normally a best practice.

thanks guys for the tips....so i figured out how to copied the bootimage onto the boot flash. I tried to set the boot system command to load the IOS but was unsuccessful. When I reload the router it fails to load the IOS from disk0. What is the correct command to load the IOS from disk0: ? Thanks a lot in advance.

i have a few 7200's
here is what i look for:
note. you have to manually type the disk0: part.. you cannot tab complete it and the ? will not help you.
Router#sho disk0:
-#- --length-- ---------date/time--------- path
1 17406912 May 16 2005 18:27:54 +00:00 c7200-is-mz.123-10d.bin
2 16384996 Aug 11 2004 05:58:22 +00:00 c7200-is-mz.122-15.T5.bin

14159872 bytes available (33796096 bytes used)

then in the config:
boot system flash disk0:c7200-is-mz.123-10d.bin

thanks plshlpme....i'll try that on monday and hopefully it'll work.

just to add to the above thread, before you put in boot sys... command just put in : no boot <enter> this way you will take out any other existing boot system commands... Cheers and good luck

This is the command I put in to configure the startup boot

Router(config)#boot system flash disk0:c7200-is-mz.121-14.E7.bin

The directory on disk0 is:

Router#dir disk0:
Directory of disk0:/

1 -rw- 10765384 May 20 2005 22:44:06 c7200-is-mz.121-14.E7.bin

This is the error I got:

open: read error...requested 0x4 bytes, got 0xfffffff8
trouble reading device magic number
loadprog: error - on file open
boot: cannot load "disk0:c7200-is-mz.121-14.E7.bin"

This error keeps on repeating. I have to go to rommon and boot up the disk0: manually and remove the boot system flash command. Does anyone know why I got that error, it seems lik e everything I put in is correct. Thanks.

can you verify that you have enough ram to boot that image?
i checked at cisco and for the IP Plus IOS in that range.. you need to have 64mb ram.

also when you uploaded it to the router was the checksum correct?

The NPE400 has 256 mb of memory. I tried to load up the image on startup using bootldr...that doesn't work either. By the wya, where on the cisco site can you find the compability regarding memory, IOS, NPE, I/O card, etc? Thanks

It is in the same place as the IOS downloads. Use the software download tool. You of course need a CCO login and such, but you can get to the IOS download tool by following links from the main Cisco.com start page.

Hello there, Magic Number error means that the image you are trying to use it is corrupted. You will need a fresh download of the same image from CCO. As a tip don't burn the image on cd if you need to move it around as it may become corrupted. Cheers and good luck

Thanks for all the tips...but I actually don't have a CCO account. Is there other ways to obtain a CCO account without being qualified as stated on the website?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back