Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

7133 SSA Disk Relocation WITH Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habhot

IS-IT--Management
Apr 27, 2002
US
I have to move some SSA disks around in two different 7133 ssa enclosures to enable two different RAID5 arrays. I have different size disks, and must move the same sizes to be in the same loop, but I have to do some copying and maneuvering to get the end result I want.

Is the best way to accomplish ssa disk relocations to export the volume groups, then import them after having moved the disks around? There would be no processor change, as the ssa enclosures would remain attached to the same box. Has anyone done this before?

Thanks for your help!

Todd

Why not just change the SSA cabling to go 1<->16 so that the system can see all of the SSA disks on the same loop. No changing of drives required.

BV

That is a good idea, but since I have two enclosures, and the disks are arranged in such a scattered way, I'd have to make it all one big loop. I currently have four loops, and am not sure what consequences might arise should I make it all one loop.

Thanks for the reply and suggested solution, though.

Todd

I completed the above task. It was really quite easy. I just exported all of the volume groups that had these particular disks assigned to them, rearranged the disks (great time to vaccuum dust off drives) to where I wanted them, then imported the VG.

The only thing that didn't go as planned, is that I wasn't aware of the short time limit that I could have an open link within the SSA enclosure(s), so about 1/2 of the disks weren't found. I rebooted for other reasons, and prayed that they would be found at the same time, and they were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back