Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

70-297: Anyone sat this beauty yet??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftertaf

IS-IT--Management
May 27, 2004
EU
Last MCP on my mcse track.

Got the MS training book and transcender exam...
anyone care to share their experience on this exam, any tips...
i've not yet sat a design exam, is transcender a close enough format to the real thing?

cheers..
David

Aftertaf

"Solutions are not the answer." - Richard Nixon

I found it one of the easier MCSE exams - did it on the last day of a 14-day bootcamp with only half a day preparation (although of course stuff learnt the previous days and through experience helped a lot heh).

My memory's a bit vague on it now (did it in May last year) but I think it was only 40 questions and they were all diagram based, focusing on where to place DC's and GC's as well as OU design to meet the requirements of certain scenarios.

The Self-Test software was OK for it, didn't try Transcenders. I also felt some of the questions weren't very well stated but then I had the issue on most of the exams.

lol
question phrasing.. totally.
part of the game i suppose.

thanks for your feedback though.
still some 293 stuff in my head, and AD/ou design is not my biggest problem though..

will let you know beginning of april ;-)

Aftertaf

Got myself the PS-Press book, the Transcender and the Testking.

Will let you know end of april ;)

hehe
good luck to both of us then!!!

Aftertaf

Yet, after reading 220 pages of the MS-book (just reading the text, not the Q&A and Practices) i haven't found anything new, they're just summing up what we've learned in all previous courses! I know, i'm just half-way the book, but this sounds pretty good for the exam :)

But other people say design-exams are pretty hard ... ? ...

I took 297 and bombed (high 600's). Planning on taking it again.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(My very old site)

doh!!!!!

Aftertaf

Anyone sat this beauty yet???

Oh my god, this really isn't a 'beauty' [sadeyes]

I've read the whole MS Press Book and for anything technically new, that could fit on just one page! Technically speaking this exam must be the sum of it all.

Right now i'm doing the transcender and i really don't like the questioning, you have to read a story/interview/technical details about a company and then answer 10 questions about that company. And on the exam you get 4 cases like this i've heard?!
Well, on case1 i've just scored like 700 points and on case2 i had all 10 questions correct! [smarty]

Anyone can confirm that the exam is something similar to Transcender/Testking?

that's what i'm wanting to know too..
(reassure me guys!!!)

cos it shouldn't be tooooooo evil in that case.

hey, we need to prove we can design and plan this stuff too!

Aftertaf

Just finished the Transcender ... 750 - 750 - 700

Doesn't feel to good [mad]

Well, up to TestKing v16.0 [censored]

I am currently doing my 2003 MCSE and haven't done the 70-297 or 298 courses yet, I do know that having read through the requirements for 70-298 (Designing Security) I feel that I could pass that exam before actually doing any classes.

I am told that the design exams are actually quite easy as long as you understand the fundementals.

Good luck with your exam, let us know how you do.

yanze...
same here...
went from 909 2 months ago to 715 just now...
depressing!

simon,
cheers for the encouragement, will do.

Aftertaf

Will let you know end of april ;)
I couldn't resist aftertaf, i've booked my exam for tomorrow-morning!

So with a little luck the world has one extra MCSE 2003 tomorrow! [medal]

scumbaaaaaaaaaaaaag!!!!!
:)
real best of luck to you mate...
i'm dying to book it too, 1 away from mcse and it itches like mad (hence the 'insult' ;-))

whatever you do, let us know
(and slide a tip or two this way, noones looking.....)

Aftertaf

Yahoo! > 862 points! [smarty]

Together with 70-291 i found this the hardest exam of the MCSE-track, but it can be done as you see ;-)

I have one good tip for you, but don't take everything as correct answers from there!
But the cases & questions speak for themselves, besides some weird ones [3eyes]

wooooohooooooooo
Yanze MCSE
nice one mate
[cheers] [cheers] [cheers] [cheers] [cheers] [cheers] [cheers] [cheers] [cheers] [cheers]

Aftertaf

yanze, so you used the testking case studies package?
any good then?? (862 points = yep!)

Aftertaf

yanze, was it a lot about migrating from nt/2000?
and functional levels stuff?

Aftertaf

Yep, i used TestKing v17.0

But i use TK for study, not to just simple remember the questions & answers! Sometimes the Q & A at TK are incomplete/wrong, so you have to look things up if u don't understand something. And technically speaking, the stuff you have to know can come from all previous modules, that's why i did the design-exam as the last one.
Also, on the TK-forum there are people discussing why some answers are wrong, that also helps a little.
And yep, migrating from 4.0 to 2003 was covered, also restructure domains, raise functional levels, etc ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back