Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

70-291 Passed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalmail

IS-IT--Management
Jan 16, 2002
US
Just got back from my first attempt at it and I am very relieved to say that I passed. I worked hard for it though so I am glad the effort paid off.

Thanks for the various suggestions that people here have given me for exam preparation.

Just one more now to get my MCSA. That's going to be Exchange 2003.

royalmail,

Congrats! Are there any details you'd like to share? (Such as the number of questions, or questions on any particular subject)

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

Congrats Royalmail
Could You give some inforamtions like your score, how many sims,what the topics of sims, have You got any questions obout Wins?
Regards
Mac Foxx

Pretty much what HutchHutchinson said in his recent thread on the same subject covers it. My experience seemed quite close to what he found.

There were only about 3 questions that I instantly thought, 'Great, I know the answer to that without having to think about it.'. All the rest I spent a lot of time on... Thankfully though, there weren't any questions that completely came out of the blue. Pretty much everything was based on what I had studied from the Exam Cram book, Microsoft press book (I recommend that over the Exam Cram), and the Preplogic tests.

I'm not sure I recommend the Preplogic tests because the questions just aren't long enough to be like the actual questions in the exam. The material is quite relevant, but...

Hello all,

I have just passed the 70-291 on the first attempt score of 733.

How I did it:
I read the exam cram2 70-291 and had the big blue microsoft book ready for refrence and a bit more indepth info as the examcram by itself will not cut it.
looked at the Test kings (a must)as they were all there.

The Sims I got were
DNS, SUS GPO's and a TCP/IP Properties one.

Best of luck..... Now for the MCSE

dyls,

First of all, congratulations.

As far as Test King being "a must", I was in school for MCSE when I took the 70-291. After I passed it (in the second try), the instructor put Test King questions on the overhead projector. I confirmed that question after question came up in my exam. Three of four students immediately booked their exam, studied the Test King, and failed the exam (since they didn't get the same questions).

We know that the pool of questions is fairly large, and that only 40-45 questions appear on the exam. Test King by no means guarantees a pass. I know several people who have failed 70-291 multiple times.

Knowing the material well enough to pass is a benefit in the real world.

I think I may also have used Exam Cram 2 on this exam, and found the text useful, but the practice questions were much too simple to be of any use in preparing for the exam. Have they gotten any better?

Wishdiak

I understand what you meen about the TestKing questions what I ment was to use them as a study aid not the be all end all of your studing.
As you say knowing the material is a must and hands on with the core systems/protocols DNS and DHCP is needed to fly this exam.

As for the questions in the examcrams they are still only really a tool to assess if you have absorbed the info in the book and still do not reflect the real time exam in any which way.

Cheers

Dyl

dyls,

Exactly. I recall one Exam Cram question along the lines of:

What type of group can you assign permissions to?

o Security Groups
o Distribution Groups

This won't help you on the 70-291 exam at all. The correct answer is Security Groups, but you'll never see anything this simple on a Microsoft exam. In my experience, the book and the CD were not particularly useful, I was just wondering if they'd gotten better.

Again, coming back to Test King, I've seen plenty of friends fail Microsoft exams either by thinking that the Test King material was a shortcut to learning the topics covered by the exams, or by assuming that they'd know the answers to the questions going in.

I have one friend who crammed the Test King answers for a week, only to find that he scored about 25% on the exam. The Test King questions were on the exam, but he'd studied the wrong answers. Rather than evaluate the question and the answer choices, he thought he knew them without putting in any effort. At $125US per exam, I'd like to spare everyone the trouble of repeating this mistake.

Exams are expensive, and although Test King is available through several peer-to-peer services, the fact is that the company that produces them makes money by doing so. To have missing or incorrect answers on a commercially marketed product is simply a sloppy way of doing business.

Wishdiak

hi, guys,

i passed all MCSE exams, how can I get the paper from Microsoft? will they mail me without my requirement?

thanks,

Winnower

Winnower,

If you've already logged into the MCP Mebmer site and requested a MCP Welcome Kit, then the process will be quicker this time around.

It may take a day or two for Microsoft to update your transcript with the MCSE certification. This part happens automagically.

Once that is done, you need to log in to the MCP Member site (which you can find from and request a Welcome Kit.

Wishdiak

how many questions are there on the 291 exam?

I had 40 (on both attempts!!!)

Paul Thomas
Network+ - Passed
70-210 - Passed
70-290 - Passed
70-291 - Passed
70-293 - Working towards

Paulhthomas:

How you getting on with the prep for 70-293? I'm about to start prep for this exam myself.

Any advise?

thanks

really well, flying through it.
It's sort of a cross between the 291 and the Network+ so I shouldn't have any problems!
yourself?

Paul Thomas
Network+ - Passed
70-210 - Passed
70-290 - Passed
70-291 - Passed
70-293 - Working towards

For someone who walked in without studying for 70-270 and 70-290, how likely would I be that I would pass? Last week I took both tests and passed them both the first time with a 776/778 (290/270). I'm soft on DNS and don't do subnetting outside an internet calculator. Let me know. Thanks!

Joe / NYC - CCA XP, CCEA 3.0, MCP NT, MCP 2K3.

733 is cutting it close.. I'd study up before you take the 292 for MCDST

whoops I was thinking 271... so disregard...

gj regardless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back