Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

70-291 and WSUS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam92Legacy

Technical User
Sep 9, 2002
US
Just a head's up to anyone taking 70-291 anytime soon: I took the test last week and received six questions specifically pertaining to WSUS. These weren't even DNS or routing questions that mentioned WSUS but rather were configuration issues. Just as surprising to me was the dearth of questions on subnetting and DHCP. Fortunately, I remembered enough from 70-290 to get these right and pass.

Too bad I'm late for a few hours. Just failed it :(. Damn those 15-20 WSUS questions out of 46. I guess I must read more on WSUS.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm just starting to study for that test!

THANK YOU for the heads-up! I'm studying right now to take that one.

Dreadz, I ended up getting all of my questions right on it and my entire knowledge of the subject comes from studying the SUS section of the Sybex 70-290 book. (We use NetChk at work, so I've never really had a need to learn it in detail.) It's not rocket science, but you definitely need to know the basics.

For the life of me I don't know why MS tests this on 291. The might as well give you a bunch of questions on performing backups across a network.

Are the questions on SUS or WSUS? I configured WSUS at work and hope its basically the same as SUS so it will help me on the test.

MCSE NT 4.0, MCP (2003), A+ & Network +

Free Computer Help and Tips:

WSUS is based on SUS and does quite a bit more than the earlier product, but at their core (I think) they are very similar. All of the questions I received pertained to SUS as well as WSUS. I'd imagine that MS will stick to sich questions, as most published study materials still refer to SUS.

i just took 291 friday the 8th and failed with a 572. not bad i at least know what to expect. alot of wsus not too many sims i only had 3 that were very easy, i did great on rras and network security what i failed was ip addressing. although i feel that im good with ip addressing obviously not as good as i thought. ive not done Readiness Review but instead i use Self Test Software by Kaplan. i have used all the questions up and have memorized them and would like some new material. does anyone have any good references to studying ip addressing? alot of dns and dhcp and some subnetting but all is important to pass. any help or advise would be greatly appreciated!

George

George, somebody in another thread suggested and I found it to be very helpful for subnetting. As far DHCP and DNS are concerned, I just used the books and made sure to get to the point where I could fully explain why a mock test answer was right and could formulate my own similar questions. (I also have a decent amount of experience with these two topics, so I might not be the best person to answer how to study these. ALso, I had the luxury of having a very competent co-worker explain things like stub zones and AD partitions to me.)

Good luck on the retake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back