Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

70-290 vs 70-291... What is more difficult?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyc1298

MIS
Aug 21, 2006
US
I would guess 291, but I can't be sure because I haven't taken it yet. I decided on a whim to take the 290 test without studying, and I passed with a 776. I've went over some DNS and DHCP stuff along with a few Study questions. I think I'd like to take it in a day or two... How much of a gamble is it? What would you suggest?

Thanks!

Joe / NYC - CCA XP, CCEA 3.0, MCP NT, MCP 2K3.

I think the fact that you passed the 70-290 on a whim is a fluke, and you should defiantley study for the 70-291

I agree. the 291 is a different kettle of fish.
You need to know DNS, RRAS and IPSEC inside out to pass it.
Simple as that.
I should I failed the first time!

Good luck

Paul

Paul Thomas
Network+ - Passed
70-210 - Passed
70-290 - Passed
70-291 - Passed
70-293 - Working towards

Thanks for the input. I did some more studying and decided to find a practice test online to see how I might do. I took a free one at uCertify.com and passed the first time with an 800. I'm thinking I might go in and see what fate has in store for me. Is a uCertify practice test a good indication how I might actual do?

have to be honest, I've never heard of them.
try, I think, it's
I remember seeing a pretty good 291 exam on there

Paul Thomas
Network+ - Passed
70-210 - Passed
70-290 - Passed
70-291 - Passed
70-293 - Working towards

Well, you were both right. I need to really study up for this one. It didn't feel good thoughout the exam, and sure didn't feel good when it displayed my failing score. I wondering what the best study meathod is at this point. I'm weakest in "routing and remote access" and "Implement, Manage, and Maintaing Name Resolution."

Yeah, I said they were the 2 areas, as well as IPSec that you need to know really well.
What score did you get, I got 610 the first time; so you're not alone!

Paul Thomas
Network+ - Passed
70-210 - Passed
70-290 - Passed
70-291 - Passed
70-293 - Working towards

Well, Lets say a 610 would be an improvement. I'm thinking about holding out and taking a class from new horizons. Did you take a class for W2k3 or did you self study completely? Have you or anyone taken a "boot camp?" New Horizons offers a 13 day bootcamp which runs for 10 buisness days and 3 weekend days. After each exam topic is completed they actual put you in and let you take the test right then. Has anyone had luck with a boot camp?

Thanks
Joe

I've just finished a course for the 70-294 exam but this is the first course I've done, the rest have been self study.

Paul Thomas
Network+ - Passed
70-210 - Passed
70-290 - Passed
70-291 - Passed
70-293 - Working towards

I wouldn't mind self studying some more. I'm just wondering I'm supposed to teach my self RRAS since I've never really used it, or all the advanced features of DNS. Sure I can install it on a test box at work, but it's not production. Does the blue MS books help a lot?

I really like CBT's like cbtnuggets.com (i used for 70-290 only so far)

For 70-291 I used Passport series for study material and the ms press book - IMHO the mspress book would need an improvement to be a paper weight.

I've also used turbocert's cbt for 70-291, it's pretty decent. Cramsession has a small study guide that isn't too bad.

I've had an experience with New Horizons that left an aftertaste.

Stuart

well I only used the MS-PRess books and CBT Nuggets to re-enforce everything, they seem to work ok as a pair!

Paul Thomas
Network+ - Passed
70-210 - Passed
70-290 - Passed
70-291 - Passed
70-293 - Working towards

Congrat to those persons who passed the 70-291 exam. I took the exam and got a 638 . Thats exam was really hard and the amount of routing questions burned me out. Next week,I will schedule the test and even if I get 701, I would be excited. My testing equipment are :

I am working in the feild, used Trainsignal cbt cds and glanced over Tk.This test is not a push over guys it truly a bear.

am out

As soon as I teach myself DNS and RRAS on a couple test servers at work, I'll go in and take the test. The testing place I go to is really nice since I can just "walk in" and test a test. No need to pre-register. I'll be sure I'm going to pass the next time I go in. The only thing I find difficult is the fact I'm not a "domain admin" at my company. I'm the Citrix Engineer, but trying to become well versed in all aspects of Windows.

Thanks

Im studying for the 290 and plan to take it in about a week. So far it seems easier than the 70-270 did. The XP test had more information to learn. Even though it wasnt difficult there was a lot of it.

MCSE NT 4.0, MCP (2003), A+ & Network +

Free Computer Help and Tips:

I've heard a few guys in the office say that to be honest. I did the 2000 Pro so didn't have to do XP, and from what everyone's said, I'm glad :)

Paul Thomas
Network+ - Passed
70-210 - Passed
70-290 - Passed
70-291 - Passed
70-293 - Working towards

70-291 is worth studying well for. If you're doing your MCSE, then you'll be faced with 70-293 which has a lot of similar content. You may want to consider doing these 2 tests close to one another. I'm in revision mode at the moment - I'll be taking 70-293 soon but have done 2 exams since 291 so I need to refresh my memory a bit.

Ben.
MCSA:Messaging

benchristian said:
70-291 is worth studying well for. If you're doing your MCSE, then you'll be faced with 70-293 which has a lot of similar content. You may want to consider doing these 2 tests close to one another.

I agree. In many ways 70-291 is the most difficult MCSE core exam, mostly due to the broad range of topics and the level of detailed knowledge that is tested. Once you know all of the topics in enough detail, 70-293 becomes almost simple by comparison.

I say "almost simple" because there are a few other topics on the 70-293 that are not covered on 70-291 which you'll need to know just as well.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back