Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

70-290 exam 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 2, 2005
CA
Hello

I just failed the 70-290 exam. I was flabbergasted. 2nd exam I fail in 11 exams, passed 70-270. Working professionally in this field for 20 years (CNE and now lots of MS Servers), I wonder who tricks who. After taking the official course and buying Selftestsoftware, I realize it is almost useless sources. Should I get TestKing? Any advice would be appreciated. Merci!

Actualtests.com is the best. But it doesn't get you everything, you have to know the material as well because reading the questions doesn't help if you don't understand what you're reading. Not to mention they could have new questions that you might not have seen. This happened to me.

I took the test four times before passing it. On the third time I'd read the questions at that point 3 times, went in and took the test, missed by 2 questions. I kept going up; first time I missed by 4 questions, the next time by 3, the third time by 2.

The funny thing was that after I took the test the third time, I then went to actual tests and they'd put out an update; 22, count them, 22 of the questions I'd just had on my test were on that frickin' update. I would have passed it had I looked BEFORE I took my test. :( However, having known the material, I missed it by only two questions instead of completely bombing it because I'd never seen the questions before. You've got to know the material as well, but actual tests definitely helps.

There is also techexams.net which is good for a lot of tests as well. Microsoft.com also has a couple of "evaluation" tests that you can take and they will tell you how well they think you'll do. If you have you're registered from having gotten your MCP, you can go in there and take those too.

I have to warn against using things like ActualTests and Testking to pass the exams. I also took my 290 exam 4 times, the first time I failed by 1 question, then 2 questions and by 1 question again. I swore each time that I took the exam that I would pass, like the first poster I am not new to the trade (I too am CNE as well as NT4 MCSE certified). I felt that to use something that would allow me not only to revise my knowledge but know the answers to actual test questions would only be cheating myself. I feel that in order to go on with my career I need to know the subject not just be able to pass the exams.

I do feel that hands on experience, good study prep books and tests are about the only way forward. With regards to the hands on experience, I am not talking about on the job experience as such but actual hands on experience with the subject matter, get some servers up and running, be they real world or virtual. I would also suggest looking at Transcender software for your test prep quizzes. As for the books I used the MS Press Study Guides which are worth looking at.

Good luck in the future.

I did all that too. I was simply giving the best example of what the real test would be like....which is the reason I said that you have to know the material too. Actual tests is just a good way to be prepared for the crappy wording that the Microsoft tests are formatted in...sometimes it's like they know what they want to ask but have absolutely no clue how to ask you. It definitely helps to be prepared for that, especially if you've never seen it before, or if the last test you took was the 270 test...270 is nothing like 290.

Esther2000,

Considering that an awful lot of the braindumps that I've seen (TestKing & ActualTests) have missing answers, missing explanations, or plain WRONG answers, I wouldn't waste any money on them.

The best preparation software that I've seen (and this is just an opinion of course) is the Readiness Review CD that comes with the MS Press books, and MeasureUp software. MeasureUp provides the Readiness Review CD material, and I haven't been disappointed with either one.

Sadly, most folks who take the 70-290 just after taking 70-270 or 70-210 seem to fail it the first time. I failed it myself, mostly due to 70-270 being so darn easy. 70-290 is more along the lines of what you should expect from MCP/MCSA/MCSE exams.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

I joined the club today of failing the first time on 70-290 a week after passing 70-270.

I need more preparation for this.

Can someone please hook me up with a new(er) version of actualtests or testking.

Thanks

nick

Rather than relying on those why not read and practice. If you rely on them then you are really just cheating yourself.

Read my first post about it.

I would like to suggest that you get more hands on experience with the product, get a hold of VMWare and install the OS and just play with it. Get to know the screens, the functions and the quirks of the OS.

Read the MS Press books and completely ignore the 70-270 exam, I fell into the fact that 270 was so easy and I thought I would pass 290 easily, whilst I was close on each occasion it wasn't good enough. I only passed eventually because of hard work and study and it's possible to pass easily if you do the work required.

Please don't fall into the trap of using Testking or Actual tests because you won't get to know why the answers are correct (and after having looked at TK I can confirm that there are incorrect answers on them).

Good luck on your next attempt. One last bit of advice, use testing tools like Transcender or Boson to gauge your abilities, aim to take the exam when you are getting above 800 on the practice exams.

SimonDavies said:
Please don't fall into the trap of using Testking or Actual tests because you won't get to know why the answers are correct (and after having looked at TK I can confirm that there are incorrect answers on them).

The last time I saw a Test King or an ActualTest (about 6 months ago), a good 10% of the answers were missing. Add that to the incorrect answers, and you'd really be cheating yourself.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

I agree Actualtest has wrong and incomplete answers .
I passed today finaly check out my other post in 290 hope it helps 737 woohoo Off to 291 for me . Thanks for everyones posts again .

My nephew swears by the Sybex prep series. He failed the first time and then used their books and passed. I am now studying for the 290 using the same series and will let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back