Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

70-270 xp kernel initilaization 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

salv236

Technical User
Aug 1, 2003
BE
Hello,

wondering if someone could enlighten me on this issue ive been reading my ms press book for the 70-270 exam there is something that puzzles me concerning the kernel initialization phase during the xp startup process the quote is as follows:

"the kernel creates a clone control set by copying the control set referenced by the value of the current entry in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/system/select subkeyof the registry".

I found this confusing i thought that the clone set was for example HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/current control set/current control003 which is a clone of the full key of KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/current control set/current control001.

When i check the path stated in quotes i dont see any copy of the data in the select subkey, maybe i am missing something.

Sorry for the long winded information i hope someone can assist in explaining this to me in easier steps.

Thanks for any assistance provided

ssaia

Support Technican

ControlSet00n
HKLM\SYSTEM

Description
The ControlSet00n subkeys represent a control set for the system.

The numbered ControlSet00n subkeys, such as ControlSet001 and ControlSet002, contain control sets that can be used to start and run Windows. Most systems have two numbered control sets, an original and a backup copy of a control set that has been used to start the system successfully, but the system can maintain as many as four control sets. Windows maintains backup copies so that you can undo configuration changes that might otherwise prevent you from starting the system.

Windows identifies the control set that was last used successfully, the current control set, and the default control set. These designations are stored in the Select subkey.

Windows automatically maintains the control sets and selects one of them when the system starts. It bases this selection on settings in the Select subkey and on the success or failure of system startup. When the system starts, users can also select the LastKnownGood control set during the boot loader procedure.

All the numbered control set subkeys, including the one that appears in the CurrentControlSet subkey, can have the same subkeys and entries. In this reference, these subkeys are entries are listed under the CurrentControlSet subkey.

Note

The ControlSet00n subkey is a variable representing the numbered control sets in the HKLM\SYSTEM key. It does not actually appear in the registry."

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

I dont remember anything even remotely related in my exam.

I think you'll find that the MS Press books are extremely thorough. After finishing them you should be more than well prepared for the exam. However, if your exam preparations used other resources that are more directly exam-targeted then it's very likely that you will not have encountered this information before. There is far more in Windows XP than is covered by the exam, and therefore far more in the MS Press books than just exam-related material. If the knowledge domain is to understand the boot process of Windows and the HKLM\CurrentControlSet keys are used in booting then it's relevant, even if there isn't a question regarding it on the exam.

MCSE:Security 2003
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back