Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

7 Gb disappeared

Status
Not open for further replies.

w8in

Technical User
Nov 3, 2002
US
I have something strange going on and it's most likely my own fault. I was testing with a 3.6 Gb file (an MS-backup-file that gets created from a Windows box onto the NW6SP3 file server every night. I copied the file from the NW6 to my local computer.
Before copying I had around 3.7 Gb available on my NSS volume (we're very low on diskspace right now, but we're a CPA firm and I don't want to make any changes to the server until after tax deadlines)
After copying, I noticed the volume only had around 35Mb left. This number remained unchanged. I decided to delete the 3.7Gb file from the server, but it didn't free up any space (like it normally would...I've removed it before).

I have since then deleted a lot of old crap from our server and that has freed up around 2Gb, but I'm still missing those 2 times 3.7Gb (in Windows Explorer).
When I try to purge, it shows no purgeable files.
The volume has a capacity of 63Gb.

When I go into Remote Manager and do a Volume Inventory Report, I get this info :

Space In Use: 53,250 MB
Space Available: -17,592,183,945,262 MB
Available Space Changes:
Last Day: -17,592,183,948,680 MB
Last Week: -17,592,183,949,720 MB
Last Month: -17,592,183,949,991 MB
Estimated Months Left: 1,048,575

The negative space available is a common cosmetic problem, I've heard.

But does anyone know a way to get my lost 7Gb back?

TIA

I am having this exact same problem. Copied files around 3.5 gb worth from one server to another and now the server I was copying from is now "full"

Eric

You need to get your server patched. There were a few defects in the NSS code on SP3 that can cause problems like that. Also, if after patching, the problem still exists, you may need to rebuild your NSS pools. I think there is a TID and a specific switch you need to use, but don't recall exactly what it is.. I bet you can find something on this in the TID on Novell.com.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back