Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

7.6.300 Upgrade - schema check failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenny782

MIS
Mar 15, 2010
US
Windows Server 2003
Macola 7.6.300
Sql 2000

I performed an upgrade from 7.6.200 to 300 today.
Everything went well, I performed the pre-update, client, server and instmac.
No errors on anything.

Now the users are complaining about:
schema check failed cannot find field ar_terms_cc_fg in sycdefil_sql MSL

I don't know much about this thing I got stuck upgrading it due to incompatibility with windows 7.

Can anyone help please?

One of them also claims some companies are updated, some aren't. I'm not sure how he knows or think he knows that..

Thanks,

Kenny

*************EDIT************
Okay I found an upgrade log.
This thing is trying to update tables that don't exist....
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot alter table 'bmexplwk_sql' because this table does not exist in database 'DATA_110'.
Loading SQL Script from file 'M:\macsql\sqlscript\76300_OECTLFIL_SQL.SQL'.
Connect Info: Server 'server2', DB 'DATA_110', UID 'sa', Trusted? 0
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot alter table 'oectlfil_sql' because this table does not exist in database 'DATA_110'.
Loading SQL Script from file 'M:\macsql\sqlscript\76300_OEORDLIN_SQL.SQL'.
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot alter table 'oeordlin_sql' because this table does not exist in database 'DATA_110'.
Loading SQL Script from file 'M:\macsql\sqlscript\76300_SYCDEFIL_SQL.SQL'.
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]An explicit DROP INDEX is not allowed on index 'sycdefil_sql.PK__SYCDEFIL_SQL__2A363CC5'. It is being used for PRIMARY KEY constraint enforcement.

what is instmac? You should run the upgrade, then run macsql\install\setup.exe.

The schema check failed error you are getting indicates that the SQL script to update the sycdefil_sql did not run.

The log has various interpretations. My first question is do you have modified source code? You can tell this by going into PWE, go to help, progression information, go to the License tab and see if there is anything listed under Enhancements.

If there is nothing there, I would reinstall the Update. You should see it go through and update each company. You will not run anything called "instmac".

If you do have enhancements post back here.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, Synergy, and Crystal Reports. Check out our Macola tools:

There is a Hot Topic that addresses this. On the Exact portal the document # is 07.199.732 - Schema check failed after updating to 7.6.300 SQL on a Windows 2003 server.

Peter Shirley
Macola Consultant, PA and surrounding states.

I ran macsql\install\setup.exe to update the client, and I ran macsql\instmac\setup.exe to complete the database update.
That's what generated this log.

"Modifications None".
I attached a screenshot in case there's anything else that might help.

Thanks,

Kenny

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/4448/pweabout.jpg
Kenny,

Print out the update instructions from the CD and follow them. 7.6.300 is still several years old, so I cannot claim to be 100% aware of what to do, but my recollection is this:

1) Update to 76300 from the CD itself. This is what updates the database.

2) The update will automatically log you into progression explorer as supervisor and auto-start the install updates program. Point it to the CD drive and hit enter. This is what updates the programs and menus.

3) Run macsql\install\setup.exe for each workstation.

You are done. You do not need instmac anymore, that is old stuff. I don't even have an instmac folder on my install of Progression.

Like I said you should compare my notes above versus the printed out instructions from the CD.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, Synergy, and Crystal Reports. Check out our Macola tools:

After posting this they sent me even more errors.
Not enough fields in this table and that table...

Even though don't have a support contract but I guess they felt sorry for me lol

I got some help from exact today, it was quite the process for alot of files.
(1) Restore the original MSL (this will allow you to export the data)
(2) From Progression/System Manager/Processes: Export the table
(3) Replace the original MSL with the new MSL
(4) From Progression/System Manager/Processes: Initialize a new table
(5) From Progression/System Manager/Process: Import the table

Then we went from 7.6.300 to 400 and ran into a few more.
I don't know what the hell is going to but everything seems to be working now. Users are just coming in so I hope so...

Hopefully I don't run into more of this going to 7.7 and 7.7.300.

Wow, sound like the tough road. But your story also sounds a little warning for others out there. Falling too far back had little consequences, then Windows Vista / 7 comes along, and all of a sudden the game changes. I am sure there are many Macola Users out there in the 7.5, 7.6 versions. If you can, you should get up to a Vista/7 compatible version.
Second,
Never start an update without a way to drop back from where you started. (BACKUP)
Last, recommendation,
Run the MSLChecker to test your MSL files against the DB structure and indexes.

had two backups, tape and local FS.

Had to go back from tape the on my first attempt a few weeks ago.
Somebody at exact was misinformed.
Told me I could update SQL or Macola first, didn't matter. I chose SQL....well Macola didn't work too well after that lol

But yeah they should think about upgrading.
I'm lucky they still supported the release these guys were on. And who knows how much longer they will.

dgillz:
It must have been a really old disk.
The PDF on the CD said to manually open the up and select update then run the "instmac\setup.exe".
They didn't have 300 on their site, couldn't find a CD to send me. They called a local reseller who found one and mailed me a Sony CD-R written on with a sharpie LOL

But when I used the 400 CD you're right. I ran setup.exe and then it automatically launched and I logged in and it continued the update.
Well until it blew up with more table errors which we had to fix and run setup again.

hmm getting cannot find field "filler_0004" in OECTLFIL_SQL MSL support is asleep lol

anyone? :)

Are you sure that was not OECCCTL_SQL?

In the macsql\sqlscript folder, find a sql script called 76400_oeccctl_sql.sql, and run it against every Macola database.

Question: You mentioned you do not have a support contract, but the key question is are you current on annual maintenance? If not you will not be able to upgrade beyond this point.

Also, check that ALL users have FULL CONTROL to macsql and all subfolders.

Yes we have software maint.

I ran that.
I also looked in enterprise admin and that table does have filler_0004 but OECTLFIL_SQL.MSL does NOT.

So it looks to me like the problem is the MSL not the DB.
What do you think?
I haven't gotten any new answers from support yet.

Do you have that file to upload or paste into a reply? Since it's only a text file :)

Yes I agree it is the MSL layer. It looks like the MSL layer is not getting updated. If you browse the CD you should be able to find the MSL layer, although it might be zipped up. If you extract that into the macsql\msl directory that may help. However the bigger question is why isn't the msl layer getting updated?

You did get everyone out, ran the update from the CD, then the install updates from Progression Explorer, then ran the client install correct? And in that order?

Yeah checked active sessions on the share and login status in Macola. Everything was clear, hell the people that use it were sleeping.

And yes, yes, and yes. In fact the support tech was in the machine watching as I did it.
_________

I went through the CD, the updates directory has a load of zips but nothing in them except dll's

They could be in the SysUpdate directory but I can't open the cabs that in WinRAR.
Installshield must have done something proprietary creating them.

On a count I just ran the 7.6.300 and 7.6.400 have updated a combined 32 MSL's, 599 untouched.

ACL's are fine, Admin/Domain Admin's have full control and I'm signed in as the:
Ent. admin/Domain admin/local admin

I have full file and share permissions on the directory. It updated some so setup can access the directory... I don't get it this jerk better call me soon or I'm gonna get my a** handed to me.

I'm already getting emails about running month end, which they should be in the middle of now.
They haven't had full access to the system for two days. Make that three if i don't get this fixed in the next few hours.

And only partial access last night.

7.7.000 update finished and everything seems okay.
Let the users try it out tonight.

If it works..tomorrow full backup, 7.7.300 upgrade,test,sql 2005 upgrade.

I hate 2005 though the simplicity of enterprise manager is gone.

You'll love SQL 2005, you just need to start using it. All those tools are still there BTW, you just need to know how to find them.

Cool, I'll have to take a look around see if I can find some kind of basic mgmt info.

I've loaded 2005 a few times, just basic use and I was happy with it functionally.

A few months ago I downloaded the monstrous SQL management studio express lol
Loaded it in VMWare, played with it in a few hours. Never did make much sense of it lol

Well I just got a call they want to delay the final upgrades until after month end next week. I've been hoping all afternoon they would lol
Gives me a chance to work out any bugs before upgrading SQL which I love of course.

Don't use the express version, it has many limitations including a 4GB database size limitation. If you have SQL 2005 Std, Pro or Enterprise, install management studio from that CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back