Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

7.3 installation hangs during "Installing Applications"

Status
Not open for further replies.

pavNell

Technical User
Sep 27, 2002
US
During RedHat 7.3 installation, PC freezes during the "Installing Applications" step. This happens no matter what class of intallation I select. Anyone else have this problem? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Run a media check to ensure that your CD's are okay. Boot from the CD and type "linux mediacheck", or something like that. It tells you at the introduction screen what to type exactly.

ChrisP ---------------------------------------
If someone's post was helpful to you, please click the box "Click here to mark this post as a helpful or expert post".

fluid11,
thanks for the reply. I've done that, checked out ok. I'll be a bit more precise...

right before the applications intall, the partitioning/format process takes place. No problem. Immediatley after, it starts "copying install image to hard drive". And it does until the progress meter(graphical installation)hits 100%. Then just hangs.

perhaps the mount point where the install image copies to does not have enough drive space?
/boot has 50MB
swap has 512MB
/ uses the rest of the drive. approx 8GB.

I may need to contact Red Hat Support. thanks.

8GB is more than enough space. I think a RH73 installation with all packages is around 2GB. Was the hard drive formatted before the OS installation?

It sounds like you get to the very end of the installation when it hangs. Are you past the point when you have to insert Disc 2 and 3? How long have you let it sit before shutting it off?

What happens if you try to boot from the hard drive after the installation?

ChrisP

---------------------------------------
If someone's post was helpful to you, please click the box "Click here to mark this post as a helpful or expert post".

Hard drive had windoze95 on it. I selected "let linux partition & format drive". Which it did with no problems, overwriting anything in it's path.
It hangs JUST before the apps install. Like I stated, after it says "copying install image to drive". So I don't even get to "insert disc 2". I think I waited about 10 min.

Just for kicks, I'm gonna try installing my 7.2 version, which I know installs well. thanks for the input

Try manually partitioning with Disk Druid during the installation. Delete any existing partitions and create the following...

/boot 100MB
swap 512MB or double your RAM
/ whatevers left

ChrisP ---------------------------------------

Did you get a geometry error while trying partition your disk? Disk is not making any funny noise? I have Linux 7.3 on my system right now, and I found that I have always had better luck running a partitioning scheme similar to that of Solaris.

/ = 4gig (Or largest section of the disk)
/swap = Twice that of the Ram
/tmp = 2gig (Good scratch pad for programming)
/home = 2gig or larger, for files.

I have ususally left out the /boot when I am only doing a single OS boot. Try that unless you are trying to do a dual boot then try the /boot = 100mbs and whatever partitioning scheme from there.

Good luck.

Well, I've tried all of your suggestions with no luck, always hangs at a certain point during install. However, RH7.2 installs just fine, even scanning cd's for errors checks out o.k.

Probably just a freak error on cd #1.

I guess I'll try to exchange for new cd's. Bought at CompUSA. Thanks for your help on this.

Yeah, sounds like a possible media error. Just return them or download new ones at or linux.tucows.com.

ChrisP If someone's post was helpful to you, please click the box "Click here to mark this post as a helpful or expert post".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back