Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

66 Block wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdabney

IS-IT--Management
Jul 1, 2002
US
About 10 years ago I used to be responsible for the telephone system at my old employer. At my new employer, the phone system was handled by a guy from administration. He recently left the company and they gave me the phone system. There was no documentation and the phone closet was a mess. We have 20 incoming lines. My memory served me well and I've been able to punch each of those 25 pairs into new 66 blocks. My problem is I don't remember how to move the key cross connections. I know I can tone the jack and the old wire to verify which it is. My confusion is getting the jack to the new block with the correct extension. Any clue where I can go for help? I asked to hire a vendor, but that was shot down. We also have a mix of digital and analog lines. I think, notice think. Is that once I locate which wire designates a certain jack, I corss connect to the 66 block, somewhere. I'd appreciate any help or direction.

OK...what kind of phone system do you have?

You have 20 incoming lines and you are wanting to cross connect lines to extension?

Normally, you will have a block for incoming lines to act as a demark block for troubleshooting between you and the telco.

Then you normally connect that to a block tied to the incoming side of a phone system...ir use the same block for both.

Most systems will terminate stations on a block and there will be additional blocks for the internal wiring going to the jacks.
You will use jumper wire to cross-connect between the labeled station block to the labeled jack blocks so you know where your extensions will show up when you plug them into the labeled jacks. (notice the words 'labeled'...very important...)

NCSS NCTS NCTE

well if you want to be accurate cross connect your CO lines from the right side of the RJ21X block to some kind of CPE lighting protection (if there are no sneak fuses on the block already )and then cross connect with F cross to the telephone system and like Crow said if you have the install manuals for the system take the time to stencil the blocks and Identify the CO's,Digital,Hybrid and Analog Ports on the system !!

If your have the resources order yellow blue/blue yellow
cross connect for CO dialtone I use the following and most guys that I know that do panasonic or mitel use red white/ white red for 2 wire digital, 2 pair wh blu/blu wh & wh orn orn white for hybrid and regular wh blue ble wh for single line sets

If you have not been shown the proper way to cut down wires
when you jump from on block to another don't pull the jumpers Taut so that you can tug on them later to identify
the jump.

The reason I stressed the lightning protection is dimes to donuts the system will take a direct hit from the network now that you are running the show and the boss is going to point the finger at you ....

Thanks CWC3, the blue yellow rang the bell I needed. Actually, crowtalks, I have 20 lines coming, all but 4 our dedicated. Two of the remaining 4 are to call outside only from the extensions and the other two are for incoming calls to the extensions. My explanation wasn't really great and I apologize. It's the connection from the jack to the extension that I'm having trouble with. I can tone the jack to the old blocks, I just forgot how to move that to the new labled blocks.

I might be off base here, but if you are just trying to move the bell - You just need to tone back the current jack, then trace the jumper to the incoming lines. Then when you want to move it, just get a punch on with a 66 blade, and move/re-run the jumper from the incoming line to the new jack you want it on. (You find that jack by toning back from the new jack to the cross connect) You want to make sure you punch it back down with tip and ring in the right order to be safe, then you can try your bell in the new location. Is that what you are looking to do?

you have yet to say what telephone system you have???

The phone system is an NEC Univerge NEAX 2000 IPS. Yes, Ryan EOD, that was all I was attempting to do. I was able to move one of the analog extensions over last night. I attempted one of the digital lines and I couldn't get it to work. I think I need two pairs for those. I'm going to attempt to figure out the old block first.

You mean IVS right ?wow guy I have been doing this for 25 years and i'd be nervous on that! there are at least 16 books on that system ! do you have install manual?
there are 2 wire & 4 wire DLCs available it would help to know what phones you are moving?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back