Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

66 Block tutorials 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmdowns

Instructor
Jan 24, 2003
US
I am looking for photos on the web that can accompany instructional text i have written concerning the termination of wiring on 66 blocks. This is for people who have never done this before so I need REAL BASIC stuff and illustrations.
Does anyone have any links and/or existing photos that can be sent to me to assist in this project?

Dont know of any links off hand (im not at home) but maybe you could go through the steps and have someone take photos of it. It is easier to explain (I think) if you can show the way you do something. jeff moss
jeffmoss26@adelphia.net

I have some old Bell System practices on the 66 series connecting blocks, but in paper format only. I don't have a scanner. Are there any old timers that might be able to upload something like the BSPs or other similar training material to the net? One other suggestion is in the back of the Siemon Company catalogue ( they have an installation practices section that covers some basics on 66 and 110 products. Check that out and see if it is useful to you.

Hope this helps!

JIM

I have a couple of things you may like. Send me you e-mail address and i'll send them to you.

My email address is <william.downs@IGT.com>.
Please send me what you have. I found a few tid bits but nothing that has hit the mark yet.
THANKS!

Check some older installation manuals on key systems. Many of the Appendix sections of the manuals discuss proper termination practices with pictures of 66B and 66M split blocks.
I can check my shelf for older manuals but it seems the older Toshiba key systems and Cortelco 501 systems had these included. If I come across any I will email them to the above email address. Jerry Pannell
techs@sclb.com

I eventually had to take pictures to illustrate what I needed, but I did find and modified a couple of things to assist me.
If you know anyone who needs a copy of these or want to save them for future use, email me at <william.downs@IGT.com> and I will send them to you.
THANKS!

Just do a google search for &quot;66 block wiring diagram&quot;. There are dozens of good links. 'Then I thought - it is easier to get out of the way when we are in it, than to get in when we are out'... John Bunyon, &quot;Pilgrims Progress&quot;

I have this question.....why do Americans still use 66?
66 has been out dated in Canada for 17 or more years now, there must be some reason?
I know that there is the 110 newer than 66 which compared to BIX still blows but what gives with this use of 66 still as it has been bugging me for some time now, just like the star headed (Philips) screw driver is still used over the square headed (Roberton), is it because Canada invented BIX and Roberton? or lack of introduction?.
spoclogo2.jpg

Because you can take a butt set and clip onto the terminals of a 66 block for testing. You don't need special adapters or need to use the bed-of-nails clip on the jumper wire.

Because of the huge imbedded base, you wouldn't throw up a 110 or bix when adding more cable runs to an exsisting cable plant.

I have used BIX, 66, and 110 blocks in the past.

66 blocks are used mostly in existing plant where most buildings have left in cable and blocks.

I like 110 blocks but if not used properly they can be trouble.

I like 110 better then BIX because it seems more ergonomical but other then that the BIX blocks are fine.

Hi curlycord,
I have been wondering that myself... A couple of reasons why: It seems no one wants to &quot;plan&quot; installations anymore judging from the state of most phone rooms I see these days and just add the same old stuff. When they run out of wall space good luck! Another one is, since the inside wire was deregulated in this country, no one wants to pay for anything(money) or take the time to change a setup. I have been using BIX since 1980!! Of all the Cross-connect systems to date I think it is still the BEST!! All of these cross-connect systems have installation practices, so if you want a good understanding of them, then people need to READ them or see the video(there is a BIX video outthere somewhere, I have seen it) and of course hands-on is the best by someone that knows the product. Each has its good and bad points. There are test clips available for both BIX and 88/110 connectors and BIX even has a 25-pair test shoe. 66 blocks waste too much valuable wall space amoung other things. A properly planned backboard or frame with BIX or 110 can triple pair capacity over 66 blocks. But old habits die hard, the old dog can learn new tricks though! You can find info on BIX at
.....JIM......

Ok guy's. Now you got me started. I still use and design our &quot;telecomm&quot; closets using 66 blocks. Just for the voice. I am running around 5200 stations here today and have not had a problem with 66 blocks the last 15 years, other that how it was punched. About 10 years ago we did a cut over to a newer phone switch and had the option to use 110. After a discussion with a friend of mine at another hospital we chose to use 66 blocks. On the telephone side of the house, every phone I have will move at least once. 110 blades wear out and you have to replace them. I have 66 blocks that have been longer than me and still work great everytime for t-1,ISDN,digital and analog services.

Just my 2 cents guy's. If you find any mistakes, please consider that they are there for a purpose. And everyone needs a purpose.
Hope this helps, Mikey.

I can see the logic in both view points.
66 blocks are cheap, reliable, and they are EVERYWHERE!
110 is not idiot proof, nor is it idiot resistant! 66 blocks are ALMOST idiot resistant even though I have seen people that can break them too.
110 blocks do take up a lot less room, and if you are the only one using them, or you are confident in your crew then it would be the way to go for sure.
BIX blocks, even though I have used them, would be my second choice. After all, 110 inserts are not hard to put in if you have the right tool for it.
Vendors do tend to be cheap when it comes to rehabing a phone room, but then again, how many old Bell System terminals do you still see out there????????

MY 2 cents.................

BIX takes up less way less room then 66 and little less then 110
BIX can be terminate much faster then 66 and little faster then 110
BIX is much neater then 66 or 110
BIX is not that expensive
BIX tool does not get dull or wear out
BIX cross connecting is much faster then 66 or 110.
QUOTE:
&quot;Because you can take a butt set and clip onto the terminals of a 66 block for testing. You don't need special adapters or need to use the bed-of-nails clip on the jumper wire.&quot;
Your kidding me right? an adaptor that takes all of 3 seconds to put on your Test set? and it stays on most of the time too lol.
You can go accross the BIX field for testing about 3-4 times faster then a 66 for heavens sake.

We put any new cables in an old warehouse/building on BIX even if there is existing 66, why? because if you going to do the job then do it right and that includes using UP TO DATE equipment, there are far too many messy phone rooms out there because of lazy techs refusing to add updated equipment.

These are my opinions and I have worked with all 3 of them over 20 years and this is why I pose this question....no wonder it takes so long for some of you to do an install, get on your boss's ass and get the good stuff.

Curlycord, you hit the nail on the head!! I couldn't have said it better!
I am tired of the crumbling plastic of 66 blocks or stuck pieces of insulation causing intermittent connections, etc, etc... 66 can't hold a candle to BIX at anytime. It was good in 1962 for the first IDC, but BIX is such a vast improvement and is sooo flexible in designing a cross-connect. It is the BEST in my book. It is also reusable, which the 110 is NOT! Have you ever tried to remove a 110 connector. You replace it, if you do. You don't reuse it. Even in the Bell System Practices, it says don't reuse, replace it! WECO made a wire retaining toolto hold the leads in the 110 index strip when removing the connector, but I have never seen one except in the BSPs and the installation practice for the Avaya Legend. Without it the leads all fall out. The BIX connector is completely reusable, either with 2-pair or 25-pair or jumper wire. They also make different BIX 'modular' connectors for 2, 3, or 4 pair jacks. Once you understand the BIX concept I don't think you would want to go back. I don't!

.....JIM.....

Everyone will have thier own opinion on what they prefer.
Heck you can probably find a few who still like using wire wrap.

I am meeting with a Nordx rep on Friday, maybe he can send me a BIX block to try out. All this sounds really interesting. I use 66 blocks almost all the time, the one 110 block I used is now smashed to pieces. jeff moss

Even though I don't prefer 66 blocks, they will not go away any time soon.
They are CHEAP, a big factor with most vendors, reusable, and because there are so many I don't think we will ever see the end of them.
One big advantage is you can get them in 25x4, 50x2, 25x6 and 50x3 configurations, which gives it a big advantage when it comes to line sharing. That way you can run seperate jumpers to each shared point without having 1 cross connect looped through several different places.
I know line sharing is not popular amung vendors but in the real world it does exist.
Anyway, we deal with lots of old phone closets so the fact remains that you still have to train your people in the use of them.

Good points SYQUEST!

BIX also has line share connectors...they are Part number QCBIX7A and more also.

Ok one more:

Cheap companies that supply their techs with aluminium ladders have no fear because you can lean them up against BIX and not short anything out.
:p lol

Here is some parts but not all:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back