Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

6500 vlan help

Status
Not open for further replies.

cleartech

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2003
US
Just trying to self-learn here, I want to change the vlan on a port on my 6509 which I think is running CATOS. When I telnet into it, I can't seem to find the right place to use the set port command or I am not using it correctly. I also need to use the show vlan command to find out which vlan I need to change the desired port to.
Thanks in advance!

After you telnet to the switch, you need to enter enable mode (command: 'enable') and provide the enable password.

If successful, the prompt should reflect you're in Enable mode.

Once there, you can issue the 'set vlan <vlanid> <portno>' to set a port as a member of a particular vlan.

You can verify your change with the 'show port' and/or 'show vlan' command

Hope this helps

When I issue a show vlans command I get: No Virtual Lans Configured.
My Prompt is:
CV-ADMIN-6509-MSFC-01#
I know there are vlans configured on my network, I just think I am on the wrong module or something...

Ah yes you are in your layer 3 MSFC routing module which is a component of your switch. This is the device that does all the inter-vlan routing for you but you don't configure the ports or vlans on there.

If you know the switch's management address, telnet to that address instead and try the command I outlined previously.

Kiscokid is right.You need the management address of the switch and not the MSFC

How can I find out the management address?

You can either speak to anyone who supports/implements changes on the network, they'll probably know. You can also try reviewing any technical documentation you have of the network, it should be in there.

Failing that, you may have to go there and physically connect in a Cisco console cable. Once you're there you can make the changes I've suggested. If you have to do thism you can issue the command 'show interface' to find out what the switch's management address is.

to make it easier on yourself.. since you have a msfc, you should look at moving to native IOS code on your switch/router..

I am it, I contracted a company to configure and install all of our switches and I wanted to be more self sufficient and learn a little. I can physically connect to the device with a console cable, I will give it a try.

I ran show interface from the console and came up with 4 vlans, 2 that I knew about and 2 that I was unsure. The two I use with my users were 10.11.0.x and 10.12.0.x. I also had a vlan called EIGRP_mgmt 10.0.0.10 and Admin_mgmt 10.10.0.x. When I telnet into any of them, I still get to the same MSFC prompt.

Did you have an interface called sc0? This should hopefully have an IP address as well.

I couldn't find one. I don't think I am using the console correctly. What should the settings be for COM1. (Baud, Bit Rate, Flow Control???) Thanks

Default Hyperterminal settings are:

9600 Baud
8 Data bits
Parity none
1 Stop bit
Flow Control none

or you can simply click the 'Restore Defaults' button and this will usually set the correct COM1 settings.

When you are correctly connected to the switch and logged in, you should see something like the following output when you issue the 'show interface' command:

Switch> sh interface
sl0: flags=51<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING>
slip 0.0.0.0 dest 0.0.0.0
sc0: flags=63<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING>
vlan 5 inet 10.44.31.10 netmask 255.255.255.224 broadcast 10.44.31.31
Switch>

In the above output, sc0 is my management interface, it belongs to vlan 5 and 10.44.31.10 is my management address

I got it, connecting by the console, I was able to show interface and get the management address. I made the vlan changes to the 2 ports I wanted to change from the console. I will try the management address to see if I can get the correct prompt. I learned so much today thanks to this forum and I am glad I gave it a try! Thanks for all your help- I'll be back!

To see the VLANs type "show vlan"
To see which trunks are associated with which VLAN type "show vlan trunk"
To assign a port to a VLAN type: set vlan [vlan#] [mod/port]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back