Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

64MB GeForce2 MX400 with KT7A Raid Mobo & 1.4GHz Athlon 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phooey

Programmer
Feb 14, 2000
GB
64MB GeForce2 MX400 with A-BIT KT7A Raid Mobo & 1.4GHz Athlon

Does anyone know of any compatibility problems with throwing the above components together?

I am having problems which seem to amount to overheating chips, but can find no other fault. I was wondering if there is anything else I can try before I send the components back as faulty.

Please?

Phooey
Andrew.j.harrison@capgemini.co.uk
Otherwise known as Windy Bottom.

Their shouldn't be any problems putting these bits together at all! they are very commonly used components.
You haven't explained your problem so it is difficult to comment.
On boot? freezing?
Temp is an issue when using the very hot T/birds so the most obvious thing I can say is adequate cooling?
Correct installation of the heatsink to the CPU? (if put on wrong the heatsink won't be sitting squarely on the CPU) instant overheat and crash!!!
Correctly rated heatsink/fan (up to the job)?
All Athlons over 1gig require EXTRA cooling, standard case cooling is just not good enough!
Let me know how U get on!

It just crossed my mind, VIA had shipped out many faulty KT133A chipsets, where the chips were unstable at 133MHz. VIA recalled them, but there's probably several motherboards out there with the faulty chipset. These chips still run reliably at 100MHz. Try it out just because; run your system at 100MHz board speed. If the system continues locking-up, it's overheating; but if the system runs reliably, it is a faulty motherboard that's your problem. Can't hurt to try.

Managed to fix it in the end... It must have been some dirt or bad contact in the AGP slot, as I took out the sound card and GeForce2 and put them back in exactly the same slots. Now it works.

Thanks for all of your help..
Phooey

Thats a lot of moneys worth of PC.Its a good job U have got a forum as good as thids to help U iron out those problems you could encounter.

(Q)- about how much did it all cost?
(Q)- where from?
THANX
;-)

If in UK, try ... Prices are reasonable but they always have 24hr bargains.

HTH
Phooey

actually all those components can be bought from pricewatch.com for under $300. And throw in a 512 chip of PC133 for only $28!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back