Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

6400r SCSI Boot Order

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaymzx

MIS
Mar 6, 2002
US
We have a Proliant 6400r that we use for one of our file servers. I purchased a MicroNet Advantage RAID array (720GB SCSI to IDE standalone array) and an Adaptec 29160LP 64-bit U160 card.

I installed the card the weekend before with no issues, using the OEM Windows 2000 drivers. When the array arrived, I initialized it via the array interface and connected it to the external port on the 29160. When the array is powered on (and hence, detected by the SCSI BIOS) the server will not boot, and replies with a 'non-system disk or disk error...'. My belief is that the addition of the array disrupted the boot sequence, and the BIOS wants to boot from the array instead of the existing drives in the hot-swap cage.

Within the system configuration, I noted that the new controller was already 4th in line, with the on-board SCSI being 1st (if I recall, the sequence was onboard-internal, onboard-external, 29160-internal, 29160-external). I tried moving the 29160 out to 6th order, and also tried moving the card to the secondary PCI bus. I also tried changing the SCSI ID of the array (it's on it's own channel..but what the hey :)) to no avail.

Within the 29160 BIOS, there doesn't appear to be an option to enable/disable booting from it. At bootup, the 29160 ALWAYS initializes it's BIOS before the on-board SCSI BIOS, and sets the array to HDD 0. The general boot-order within the system BIOS is A:, CD:, C:...normal.

Luckily, this server isn't used by remote people, so I can work with it any time after 5pm. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions or questions.

thanks!

-jaymzx

The only thing I can think of is that the card may be a little to "smart" for Compaq BIOS. Compaq's BIOS like to keep control of things (especially on their 2nd-from-top-of-the-line servers).

You may want to try Compaq part # 154457-B21.

(CDW link to product)

As much as I like Adaptec product (I was an Adaptec A.C.E. before wide scsi came out...) I don't usually have a lot of luck mixing it with Compaq's high-end servers.

Hmm. Good call.

Upon looking around at Adaptec, I found this article:

After installing the Adaptec SCSI Card and a second LVD bootable drive has been attached, I am attempting to boot to a different OS Ctrl+A and selected configure host adapter setting, and selected the boot device selection option, within SCSISelect. However, there is no selection for which device to boot from and this option was not available as a feature, inside of the SCSISelect utility. It shows the card only and not the device to boot from.

This information applies to the following product(s):

Adaptec SCSI Card 19160, Adaptec SCSI Card 29160N, Adaptec SCSI Card 29160LP, Adaptec SCSI Card 29160, Adaptec SCSI Card 39160

This information applies to the following Operating System(s):

N/A

Answer
If you enter the SCSISelect Utility and enter the Boot SCSI ID option does not display, the root of this issue is within the motherboard BIOS and not with the Adaptec SCSI Card.

This is a new feature within of the motherboard CMOS setup that, should have a BIOS boot selector which allows the selection of which hard disks selection to boot from by the SCSI ID number and brand name within the CMOS of the motherboard.

The boot device selector in SCSISelect has been disabled by the motherboard, as the Motherboard BIOS Boot selector (BBS) overrides the Adaptec SCSI Card feature.

This is not a problem, and the boot drive selection has to be made within the Motherboard bios, and not in the 29160 bios configuration utility.

Note: A specific example of this symptom can be seen on an Intel motherboard model D850GB, with BIOS version GB85010A.86A.0078.P18. This symptom has been replicated on other motherboards and is not isolated to this one particular motherboard.

The Intel motherboard is only used here as an example of a specific motherboard that has this level of control within the CMOS.

Recap, the boot feature in this case is controlled by the CMOS of the motherboard and the Boot Device Option, will not be selectable with the SCSISelect Utility of the Adaptec SCSI Card.

So, it looks like I'll RMA this card and get the Compaq.

Thanks for the tip. :)

-jk

They sure used a lot of language to say "We put in too fancy of a feature"... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back